cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any idea what this bug is?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Any idea what this bug is?

I was wondering if it was maybe some type of queen.  Whatever it is, it's nothing like anything I've ever seen, and it wasn't aggressive or anything like that.  

I think I'll find a popular insect board and post it on there, as I'm really curious as to what in the heck this thing is.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

I was wondering if it was maybe some type of queen.  Whatever it is, it's nothing like anything I've ever seen, and it wasn't aggressive or anything like that.  

I think I'll find a popular insect board and post it on there, as I'm really curious as to what in the heck this thing is.  

Like I said, pretty sure it's a mole cricket. They're harmless, except for your yard.

EDIT: Also great fishing bait. Smiley Happy

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Like I said, pretty sure it's a mole cricket. They're harmless, except for your yard.

I'm not sure.  I've looked at pictures of mole crickets, and I know that from the picture it's a bit hard to tell, but this thing didn't look like any of the pictures of mole crickets that I saw.  Especially the head.  

Like I said, I wish I would have thought to take it out and put it on a white surface so I could have gotten some better pictures of it, including from other angles.  Smiley Sad  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

I submitted it for identification at the following...

https://bugguide.net/node/view/6/bgimage

GabeU

Okay, folks.   Got an answer.   It's a Rove Beetle.  There are a slew of different kinds, but looking at many of the pictures I can tell that this thing is definitely one of them.  Smiley Happy  

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Must be the sixth Beetle

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sure glad I'm not a betting man, would've lost. Sure looked like a mole cricket in the pic. At least we know what the little ugly bugger is now.

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

HA! I thought it must be something from the beetle family.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Like Yoko Ono?Smiley Wink

@debbie.jean.bro wrote:
HA! I thought it must be something from the beetle family.

debbie.jean.bro
Advanced Tutor

@maratsade hahahaha!