Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Anyone have a Mini PC?

Just curious what you think of it.  

I recently got a Wintel Pro...

https://www.amazon.com/ACEPC-T8-x5-Z8350-Graphics-Computer/dp/B07YBW8DP5/

I like it.  It's not exactly a desktop replacement, but for basic activities it works just fine.  So far I've been able to do everything I can do with my desktop, save for anything with optical drives, as I don't have any USB optical drives.  And for $140 (there was/is a $10 off coupon), the fact that it comes with a legitimate install of Windows 10 Pro is pretty nice.  Most of the other Mini PCs that come with Windows 10 come with the Home version.  

The 64GB of storage doesn't seem like much, and it isn't, but with what I currently have on the system I've only used about 21GB of that 64GB.  Plenty of room left over, and if I have larger files that I need to save, I can use a external USB HDD.  

If this had come with Windows 10 Pro, I likely would have gotten it instead, as I like the options it gives regarding expansion.  

The only bad thing I've found so far is that reading/writing to a micro sd card using the built in card slot is S L O O O W.

2 REPLIES 2
maratsade

"If this had come with Windows 10 Pro, I likely would have gotten it instead, as I like the options it gives regarding expansion."

What's the advantage of Windows 10 Pro over the Home edition?

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

What's the advantage of Windows 10 Pro over the Home edition?

Though there are a number of differences and the advantages of those differences depend on the individual and what they're using Widows for, the primary advantage for me is being able to control Windows Updates.  I still can't control individual updates like you can with Windows 8.1 and prior, but I can choose when to download and install the updates that show up.

I've also run into situations where I've needed to change something in the registry or something using the Group Policy Editor, which I wouldn't have been able to do with the Home version (the particular changes, not the overall ability).