I have an application that does forward and reverse DNS searches through a shelled HOST command. Most of the time if you feed it an IP address it will return it's name equivalent from a DNS lookup. Otherwise, it will return that there is no name (NXDOMAIN), a name server couldn't be reached (SERVFAIL), or there was a simple timeout error. Either way, I'll receive some kind of response when using the HughesNet DNS.
I was away over the weekend and using my tethered phone as my internet connection. Turns out Verizon's DNS isn't as forgiving... Like, it never timed out when it should have, and the app kept locking up waiting for a response.
Add this to yet another reason to use the HughesNet DNS server. I'm shocked that Verizon's would be so poor.
Edit: Have since added "-W 5" to the host command(s) to make sure it dies in 5 seconds.
I originally switched to Google's DNS due to HughesNet's often having problems with Amazon's site. Even if I'd flush the DNS cache it would still mess up. After I switched to Google's DNS that rarely ever happens.
I tried switching back for a time about six months ago, and sure enough, within a few days the same problem popped back up, so I went back to Google's.