Failing To Provide Service

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hoewing14
New Poster

Failing To Provide Service

We have had HughesNet since May. Since then we have had to call every 10 days or so to "fix our internet" because it was never working properly. Many times we were promised that the issue was resolved, and we wouldn't have to call again, WRONG. Finally after calling 4 times within 15 days, we tried to cancel our service. Paying $100 a month for a service that isn't being fulfilled is a crime. We were told that we were not justified in cancelling our contract and that we will be billed for "early termination." What a joke. I can't wait to file complaints with the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau!

44 REPLIES 44
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hoewing14

This section is not for HughesNet support, as is clearly stated in the section description.  

If you would like to get help with your issue(s), please start a new topic in Tech Support and describe the issue(s) you are having.  

Aside from the complaints being off-topic and vastly inappropriate for this area:
There was a major recurring and intermittent outage for a swath of customers since around 0000 UT 03 Sep. This was noted elsewhere on this site. Please be patient.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

My outage started last night (9/2) at around 6:30 pm,  and the system is still a bit glitchy. Edit: I see from the announcements that the issue was expected to be resolved in the afternoon of 9/2 but it started for me in the evening of 9/2.   @MarkJFine, you're on Beam 68, right?  Did you experience any outages?

Drew's complaint sounds to me as something more long term than the outage, though it's hard to discern among all the grrrr. 

Drew's complaint is basically doing the same things repeatedly and expecting different results.

I didn't see anything last night but I was out early. Have been noticing some unusually long delays and broken connections this morning, but haven't really been on top it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

"doing the same things repeatedly and expecting different results."

That's the definition of something..... LOL

I rebooted the HT2000W shortly after 8pm 9/2 Eastern time (0000 UT 9/3) and that is when I started to have the issue, so I am not sure if my reboot of the HT2000W was the start for me, or if it was at 0000 UT (8pm EST/6pm MT).

@maratsade, did a reboot start the issue for you, or are you on mountain time?

I use a batch file to automate grabbing the logs from the HT2000W after it creates them at 0000 UT/8pm Eastern. I then use a spreadsheet graph to look at usage for each device and other numbers from the log, so I can see the SQF bounce all over and lose connection at the gateway after 8pm 9/2.

SQF.png

graph1.png

Ignore the 50+ Mbps numbers, they are caused when I reboot the HT2000W and the usage accumulators reset back to zero -- the spreadsheet here is treating it as a rollover of 32 bit integers, so in the graph it just creates the illusion of a data usage spike.  This is because I rebooted, and stitched the logs together and is not related to the issue.

The dark blue line in the graph for SQF has gone crazy since 8pm 9/2 and when it gets too low connection is lost.

Hope this is resolved soon, but I was wondering if others can avoid it by not reseting/rebooting the HT2000W until the fix is in?

maratsade

@MrBuster, I'm on Eastern time, and I realized the system was down in the evening, so I don't know exactly when it first went down.  I checked the modem and about 3 lights were out.  I rebooted the modem, and all the lights except System came back on.  This morning (9/3) at around 6:30 am,  System was still out.  I rebooted the modem again, and also restarted the computer, and it was working.  It's still a bit glitchy, though. Sometimes the connection cuts out, then it comes back.   So, for me, the second reboot ended the issue. The first reboot did not. 

@maratsade,

Thanks -- since you are eastern time and you first noticed the issue 6:30pm last night (9/2), it is apparent that we started to experiance the issue at different times. The issue did not start for me until I rebooted shortly after 8pm eastern time. From the graphs you can see my performance was excellent before 8pm (except for a short heavy rain at 5pm).

The issue causes intermitent connections because the satellite signal strength is all over the place -- so everything is working then when the SQF drifts too low there is a loss of connection for a few seconds while reassociating to the gateway.

Under the System Status screen, the 'Satellite Receive Signal Strength' value is the SQF in the log -- do you see your value jumping all over the place, or has it settled down to a constant value for you?

Thanks!

My connection(s) are still all over the place! Obviously, not all affected customers have been restored. I've re-booted numerous times and still can not maintain a connection. I'm in Ohio with sunny blue skies and more than frustrated with Hughes Net performance

maratsade

They may still be fixing the issue.  It doesn't seem to be a weather related issue, so the weather in Ohio would not impact performance in this case.  Things break, be patient. Hughesnet is working to restore full performance. 

My connection(s) are still all over the place! Obviously, not all affected customers have been restored. I've re-booted numerous times and still can not maintain a connection. I'm in Ohio with sunny blue skies and more than frustrated with Hughes Net performance

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@MrBuster I had sent you a PM...

Anyways, my signal has been ALL over the place since yesterday starting at approximately 8:00PM Eastern.  It seemed stable most the night, but this morning, it's all over.

@C0RR0SIVE,

If it started at 8pm eastern for you too, then my rebooting shortly after 8pm was just a coincidence then.  

Thanks!

maratsade

It varies, and it's affecting performance, but most things can be done just fine at the moment.  Streaming isn't working so well because the system cuts out for nanoseconds and the streaming service doesn't seem to like that. 

@MrBuster wrote:

Under the System Status screen, the 'Satellite Receive Signal Strength' value is the SQF in the log -- do you see your value jumping all over the place, or has it settled down to a constant value for you?

Thanks!

Is it my imagination or is there a correspondence with the graphs?  We are on different beams and different gateways...any thoughts?  The scale is a little different, but the drop offs seem to hit about the same time....

compare.png

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm... Not sure...

I am on SDO 066....  I know Mark is on SDO068 (i think~!), not sure about everyone else.

I do know this, packet loss and website load times are increasing at at an alarming rate...

Assuming the graph is showing ET, I can vouch for the mess at ~12:42. Am on beam 68, but I think that may be irrelevant since it appears to be system-wide.

That said, the SQF may be relative. For example, my usual level is around 104-110, which is generally pretty good. Any full outages I see might be less frequent than someone who has a lower usual SQF because it's easier for them to hit the lower threshhold.

However, I seem to be on a different IPGW ID than I was at 12:42 (either that or my memory is failing me), which means that although a prolonged outage might not have affected me, something was severe enough to trigger re-association with the gateway. It was likely quick enough that I didn't even notice.

Yes, these times are ET, but I was surprised to see any correspondence in the graphs since we are different beams and gateways.

For me SQF is never above 95, but with this issue, it has jumped up above 100 at times but it jumps all over.  Even though my SQF is always lower, my performance is really good -- often above 40 Mbps even in "prime time" and I rarely have any drop off with my IPGW ID sometimes going 2 weeks before it changes.  Before this issue, it dropped at 5pm because of a very heavy rain -- I usually maintain connection unless is a very heavy downpour.

The unstable SQF is causing a drop off/change of IPGW ID every 30-50 minutes it seems.  Mine just changed again at 3:30pm.

Yeah, unless the SQF doesn't go below 70 or so you're not going to see much degradation in overall speed between yourself and the gateway. For the majority, SQFs above that level are acceptable bit error rates, not requiring packet resends. what affects speed at that point is usually the congestion from others pounding the servers at the gateway, thus causing delays. Well, either that or my favorite bugaboo: the upstream provider (Level3), which in my case tends to drive me insane at times by invariably throttling routes to Microsoft and others seemingly at will.

Watch how fast service returns tommorow when everyone comes back to work. Hugesnet you can't close down the shop over a holiday!