False advertisement of download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ryankkinney
Freshman

False advertisement of download speeds

I upgraded from Gen4 to Gen5 on 9/16/17. Immediately after the tech left I tried my new internet out to see all this speed, unfortunately Gen5 was way slower than Gen4 I had. After several days of speed testing it was discovered I was getting less than a megabyte download speed most of the time with small glimmers of speed in the 7megabyte range briefly. My internet is so slow that I can't even load pictures on Facebook let alone stream a small video. After 4.5 hours on the phone with customer service on 9/20 they escalated my case to the engineering department and promised within 48 hours that they would get back to me with a solution. I didn't recieve a call today, rather I called them and they advised it would possibly be another 24-48 hours. They refuse to send a tech out unless I pay $125.00 even though I have the repair plan. They refuse to admit the tech that installed my Gen5 most likely installed something incorrectly but will fix it if I PAY for HUGHESNET's MISTAKE. This is the poorest customer service I have ever seen. I would never reccommend this service to anyone because it's cheaper to go get dial up for the speeds you'll recieve.

17 REPLIES 17
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Nope.

Then, to help the Hughesnet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, you should create a testmy.net account and perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day. Then share the account results link with us here.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

They already have days worth of tests from their speed tests and testmy.net. I am not repeating it another 100-200 times. I don't have time throughout the week to test different times during the day since I'm at work. Hughesnet needs to send a technician out to trouble shoot this issue instead of giving me the run around.

Hughesnet first needs to find out if it is a issue on your end or there end. If it is on there end. It will due no good to send a tech out. Let the Engineers do there thing. They are good. Just takes a little bit.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ryankkinney

Please post your testmy.net Results URL so those test results can be viewed.  

Also, as mentioned, they are not going to send out a tech unless it's determined that a tech visit is needed.  

These are directly from hughesnet's speed test:

09/22/2017 02:08 PM

Yes

09/22/2017 01:57 PM
Yes
09/22/2017 01:52 PM
Yes
09/21/2017 04:56 PM
Yes
09/20/2017 06:36 PM
Yes
09/20/2017 06:27 PM
Yes
09/20/2017 06:23 PM
Yes
09/20/2017 06:19 PM
Yes
09/20/2017 04:35 PM
Yes

Testmy.net results are as follows:

10.5mbps download  949kbps upload

672 kbps                    1.6mbps

4.6mbps                     1.5mbps

386kbps                      upload timed out

Those three test were date/time as follows: 9/20/17 4:35pm, 9/21/17 6:07pm and this morning 9/22 8:20am

My satellite strength is showing as 87%, I have rebooted the modem numerous times. I have tried numerous computers devices. I have been on a windows 10 device, which actually  caused my speed results to slow versus being on a windows XP computer and loading the three sites customer service wants you to, purple.com, google.com and cnn.com is not getting any faster.

maratsade

This section is not for tech support, and the mods may not even look here. You may want to post in the right section, to get more visibility for your issue. 

Your speeds are like mine. They have burned up my Trial period trying to fix it. Looks like I'm going to collections now. 😞

GabeU

@RodWilliams

It may be beneficial for you to start a new topic to address your individual speed issue.

With that said, unless you signed up through a reseller that specifically offered such, there is no trial period.  Hughesnet, themselves, do not offer a trial period.  

maratsade

"False advertisement of download speeds"

Nope. They advertise speeds "up to ---."  Not false advertisement, but you're welcome to spend tons of money finding this out. 

DHC
New Poster

I have been having the same issues with my speed and constantly on the phone with tech support since I have had this service. When I mentioned about termination I was told that it would cost me $400+ even though I am not getting the service that I am paying for. This is bull!!

GabeU

@DHC wrote:

I have been having the same issues with my speed and constantly on the phone with tech support since I have had this service. When I mentioned about termination I was told that it would cost me $400+ even though I am not getting the service that I am paying for. This is bull!!

Because speed issues can be caused by different things, it would be beneficial for you to start a new topic in the Tech Support section to recieve help, which you can do by clicking on the blue "Start a topic" button on the upper right while in said Tech Support section.  

General Discussion
A place to chat about tech or tech-related topics and just have fun. 🙂 *NOT FOR HUGHESNET SUPPORT*
GabeU

@DHC wrote:
 General Discussion
A place to chat about tech or tech-related topics and just have fun. 🙂 *NOT FOR HUGHESNET SUPPORT*

Your point?  

Unfortunately you are not alone