Gateway Upgrades Happening?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrBuster
Senior

Gateway Upgrades Happening?

I see there was a brief outage for me on the CHY gateway this morning of the type that I suspect are related to upgrades/maintenance at the gateway, and the IPGW ID number range has changed! 

When Gen5 was new, I saw only 0101 - 0103, which later expanded to 0101 - 0107, with further expansion to 0101 - 0111 some months later.  Each of these changes brought a noticeable increase in performance / reduction in congestion.  There have been other times when it seemed that some kind of upgrade may have happened, but nothing solid that I could point to, but this morning my IPGW switched to end with the number 1204.

I don't remember seeing anyone post an IPGW number like this -- all being numbered 01XX or so.  Has anyone else seen new numbers like this for them?  Also, do the business users use the same IPGW ID number ranges as regular users?

Since these sort of things always seem to happen around 1 AM for me, I suspect the upgrades may be specific to each beam on each gateway, since other beams out west on my gateway would find upgrades in prime time annoying probably....

Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MrBuster 

I've never seen anything other than 01XX either.  I've only ever seen it ranging from 0101 to 0111, or maybe 0112.  But 12XX?  Very interesting.

I wonder if it might have to do with their expansion into Mexico.

This is a while ago, but I have had the following show up:

I had the hunch that maybe other users had other ranges, like 1205-1208, etc  The idea is that the IPGW count may have been greatly increased with each user only getting a subset.

Anybody out there seeing an IPGW with labels outside the group I listed above?

GabeU

@MrBuster 

I've seen newer channels since my last reply.  In the 1200s, 1300s and 1400s.

For the 12XX range, I only get 1201 throught 1204 -- do you ever see 1205 or higher? 

Specifically I was wondering if they essentially tripled the IPGW at each gateway, but only let each user access to 1/3 of the range.

GabeU

@MrBuster 

I don't recall seeing 1205 or higher, but I haven't been paying a lot of attention.  I'm presently on 1306.