Hughesnet Community

HughesNet is the worst internet service I have ever had.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mciccone
New Poster

HughesNet is the worst internet service I have ever had.

I have only had HughesNet for a little over a month,but without a doubt this was a mistake I regret every day I use it. I run out of my allowed usage wishing the first week. Never was told this was the way they do business.  Never knew about the data limit and was told by the sales rep I could stream movies at my service level. It was either a lie or the rep knows nothing about steaming movies. Add to this the problems with stormy weather. Here in New England were are having a very stormy Summer and so my sevuce goes out often.  I would love to find a way to get out of this service but cannot afford to pay the $500 fee. Sorry I ever left Comcast.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mciccone

The reps make an educated guess as to how much data a person will need, but due to many variables it's not always right.  You may be able to upgrade to a larger plan to fit your needs.  

With this said, though, HughesNet isn't made for cord cutting.  It's a niche service that's primarily for people who can't get a ground based service.  Not to rub salt into a wound, but it's very important for people to research a product or service before they sign on the dotted line, so to speak.  There's no doubt that you would have been better off sticking with your cable service, as satellite internet can't really compete with a ground based service.

However, if you feel that you were misled by the sales rep, you may have recourse.  Since it's been less than three months, and if you signed up directly through HughesNet (not a 3rd party reseller), your sales call may be available to be reviewed.  Only the sales call itself can be reviewed, so the misinformation must have been during that call.  The sales call reviews are very honest, and if it's determined that you were misled you may have recourse in the form of being able to cancel the service without an Early Termination Fee.  It all depends on what was said in the said in the sales call.  I'm not guaranteeing anything, and I'm only a fellow customer, but it may be worth asking for your sales call to be reviewed.  You can do so in the "myAccount and Billing" section, or directly through this link...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/AccountandBilling

Good luck.  

Edit:  The weather.  Yes, bad weather at your location can and will affect your service, as can bad weather at your gateway location.  All of the gateways are located in the western half of the country.  It's one of the unfortunate drawbacks of all home satellite service, including satellite TV.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@mciccone

The reps make an educated guess as to how much data a person will need, but due to many variables it's not always right.  You may be able to upgrade to a larger plan to fit your needs.  

With this said, though, HughesNet isn't made for cord cutting.  It's a niche service that's primarily for people who can't get a ground based service.  Not to rub salt into a wound, but it's very important for people to research a product or service before they sign on the dotted line, so to speak.  There's no doubt that you would have been better off sticking with your cable service, as satellite internet can't really compete with a ground based service.

However, if you feel that you were misled by the sales rep, you may have recourse.  Since it's been less than three months, and if you signed up directly through HughesNet (not a 3rd party reseller), your sales call may be available to be reviewed.  Only the sales call itself can be reviewed, so the misinformation must have been during that call.  The sales call reviews are very honest, and if it's determined that you were misled you may have recourse in the form of being able to cancel the service without an Early Termination Fee.  It all depends on what was said in the said in the sales call.  I'm not guaranteeing anything, and I'm only a fellow customer, but it may be worth asking for your sales call to be reviewed.  You can do so in the "myAccount and Billing" section, or directly through this link...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/AccountandBilling

Good luck.  

Edit:  The weather.  Yes, bad weather at your location can and will affect your service, as can bad weather at your gateway location.  All of the gateways are located in the western half of the country.  It's one of the unfortunate drawbacks of all home satellite service, including satellite TV.