Losing data

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markb
New Poster

Losing data

I have lost all my data for the month in the matter of 10 days. I lost 10 gig in 10 days how is that possible? I contacted tech they did some test to prove I was losing data and they kept telling me we will have a tech call u in 3 to 5 business days and I told them how is that gonna help? After 3 days of talking to tech on the phone they finally put me on with a supervisor who said the same thing. In my opinion this is the worst internet provider and I regret ever signing a contract with them....
2 REPLIES 2
Markb
New Poster

I am still losing data even after hughesnet sent a tech out to replace my modem and do testing. Question is why am I still losing data when no one is using it.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Data loss is most often caused by one of two things.  The first is packet loss, which can be caused by a few different things, but most notably an incorrectly aimed dish.  The second is something of the customer's using the data.  Greater than 99% of the time it's the latter.  

Many devices can use data when they are not being actively used by someone, and even when the devices are seemingly off.   You can see the connected devices info, including devices currently connected to the HughesNet modem, and devices that have been connected, but have since been disconnected, here.  It only shows what has been connected (and disconnected) since the last time the modem was plugged in, but it can be helpful in determining what may be using so much data.  Notable culprits are satellite TV receivers, gaming consoles, and Amazon Firesticks updating background images.  Devices getting into update failure loops can also cause high data usage.  Devices that aren't getting a good WiFi signal can also use a lot more data than they normally would.  

The following two threads may help you...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

If you'd like help in determining what could be the cause of the problem, please start a new topic in Tech Support.