cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mbps discussion

MarkJFine
Associate Professor

Re: Slow Speed HELP

A Byte is a character. Multiple bits make up a character.

Depending upon the number of control bits, there could be between 8-12 bits per Byte. I use 10 as a general rule, going back to the old signalling days when you had 8 data bits, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit and no parity bits.

Therefore, using simple conversion math:

1,000,000 Byte        10 bits        10,000,000 bits
1MBps =  -------------------- * ---------------- = --------------------- = 10Mbps

sec                     1Byte                  sec

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

A Byte is a character. Multiple bits make up a character.

Depending upon the number of control bits, there could be between 8-12 bits per Byte. I use 10 as a general rule, going back to the old signalling days when you had 8 data bits, 1 start bit, 1 stop bit and no parity bits.

Therefore, using simple conversion math:

1,000,000 Byte        10 bits        10,000,000 bits
1MBps =  -------------------- * ---------------- = --------------------- = 10Mbps

sec                     1Byte                  sec

But nearly all commercial speed tests use binary, not decimal, for their conversions.  In speed tests 1MBps = 8Mbps and 1Mbps = 0.125MBps.  I've never seen speed tests using a decimal conversion before, or at least not in anything commercial.

And remember, this is data transfer rate, not data amounts like storage.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
MarkJFine
Associate Professor

@GabeU wrote:

And remember, this is data transfer rate, not data amounts like storage.

Helps to know how it's being transferred Smiley Happy

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Ryan11433
Sophomore

thanks for answering my question that you produced more detailed information. 

Mitcom1
New Poster

Re: Mbps discussion

I would be happy with 1 meg I'm in the.2 and.3 no matter what. I'm learning that hughesnet was never meant to stream it was supposed to be for email only 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

That's not accurate. You can do much more than email with HughesNet, including some streaming (though the latter varies depending on many factors).  

Mitcom1 wrote:

I would be happy with 1 meg I'm in the.2 and.3 no matter what. I'm learning that hughesnet was never meant to stream it was supposed to be for email only 

SleepyOwl

A bit (b) is a binary digit, either 0 or 1 A Byte (B) is a string of 8 bits.