Hughesnet Community

Overwhelmed with Spam in the last three days!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tukatshak
Freshman

Overwhelmed with Spam in the last three days!

Wow, what is going on?  In the last three days, I have gotten over 70 spam emails, some purporting to come from me!  Bad spelling, phony gift cards, **bleep** enhancement, sexual positions, you name it.

It had been bad about 2 months ago, and then everything cleared up.  Now spam has come back with a vengeance - and in huge quantities.

Has HughesNet turned off its spam filters?  These last three days have been horrible!  All the emails go to my spam folder, but why can't HughesNet reject them before they are delivered to me at all?

Frustrated in Alabama

22 REPLIES 22

@MarkJFine wrote:

The *.nelottery.com part of the email address means nothing. Spammers often steal pseudo-valid but fake email addresses/domains in order for them to pass certain SpamAssassin tests.

What matters is the final IP address from where the HN email server received them, which indicate the open relay(s).

That's what you want to block, not the email address.

[Soapbox]

Spam. I really hate it, and the people behind it. All spammers are liars, and anyone who buys anything advertised in a spam mail is part of the problem.

I frequently report spammers and their fraudulent web sites when I have the time. Here's some of my favorite tools:

But it's a lot like playing "Whack a Mole." Pretty soon your mouse finger just gets tired of sending reports.

[/Soapbox]

El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Virgil2U
Freshman

I have had the same problem for the past three months and so far the only thing I have gotten from hughesnet was harassment asking me to send them the spam emails that they know I have received. They even block me from blocking the email address that these are coming from. Hughesnet is illegally allowing these spam emails to come to their customers as a way to make more money.  It is illegal and they know it and will not stop allowing illegal spam email to go to their customers email accounts and also illegally block the customers from blocking emails from the senders of the spam. Whenever you complain they want to warn that you can lose your internet service for complaining and also they harass you. We customers need to be file charges against Hughesnet and have them fined heavily and us customers paid enough to cover the stress that Hughesnet has knowingly and willfully put us through.