Hughesnet Community

To Unsubscribe or to not Unsubscribe. A tough decision to make!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

To Unsubscribe or to not Unsubscribe. A tough decision to make!

I'm just trying to figure out what it is I'd be unsubscribing from!  😛  

UnSubscribe Hilarity.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

Been getting these daily from an email server in India (estroweb.in) telling me my email is over it's quota, or I've been locked out, or... you name it. This comes from my AbuseIPDB reporter app (that I wrote), which replaces pertinent parts I want to obscure with 'xxxx':

[Wed Feb 13 16:05:10 2019 GMT] "xxxx.com" <Noreply.Quota@storage.com> [URIBL_INV,URIBL_DBL_ABUSE_SPAM,RDNS_NONE], Subject: Your E-mail Rectification For xxxx@xxxx.com

Always wary of anything that uses your email address or domain anywhere in the 'mfrom' area. In fact, I have a rule set up that unless they come from a specific IP (my server) they get logged and routed to /dev/nul

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

Always wary of anything that uses your email address or domain anywhere in the 'mfrom' area.  

I see a ton of them from my own email address.  It's ridiculous.  

As time goes on I'm becoming more open to the idea of creating a new email address and dumping this one.  It really bugs me, as I got this email address when I bought my first computer, which was back in 1998 or 1999.  I signed up for three years of MSN dialup in order to get the $400 instant rebate from them for my computer.  The service wasn't any more expensive than it normally would have been per month, and I needed internet access, so it was a no brainer.  It was like getting $400 for doing nothing more than I already had to do, and MSN dialup was actually very good.    

Twenty years with the same email address and I might have to end up dumping it.  It's not like I can stop what's happening.  And, if the emails are coming to me with my own address, I know they're going to thousands of others, too.  😞  

You might be able to set up an SPF or DKIM if you know the IP of the servers your email comes from. It's kind of like sender verification for recipient servers that will treat it as junk if it fails a test.

It doesn't eliminate it completely, but it does cut it down significantly.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine 

I'll have to do some reading on that.  Thanks for the idea.  🙂  

GabeU

@MarkJFine 

Among the nine junk emails I've gotten so far today there were four more of those Unsubscibe things, all from different addresses.  SMH.