Unhappy Customer Review

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Orgel75
New Poster

Unhappy Customer Review

We got Hughes so we could run a small business from home (work on the computer and have occasional zoom calls). The satellite internet has been worthless since day one! The speed test ALWAYS says our upload/download speed is "good" and "better" than what was guaranteed. I've spent hours with tech support struggling with the language barrier. They finally connected me with someone whose first language was English, and he spent about six minutes with me reconfiguring our equipment to connect "to their fastest satellites." Why was I not connected to those to begin with? After the reconfiguration...NOTHING improved. We cannot play videos, games, without long pauses to buffer. Zoom audio is intermittent and it's impossible to run both visual and audio together. Web pages load slowly. The service is absolutely useless.  Tech support tries to tell my it's our equipment. Really? All of it? Three iPhones, a MacBook, and a HP desktop are all the problem? Why do the iPhones and MacBook all work quickly when connected to ANY OTHER service than Hughes? Our monthly bill for a non-working service is $91.83. Nearly $100/month for a service that has NEVER delivered what was promised. I don't have money to throw away! I will never be more glad when the next 15months are over and we can be rid of this "service."

7 REPLIES 7
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Instead of wasting your energy typing out a complaint that will likely be deleted anyway, as that's not what this section, nor this SUPPORT community, is for, why not use it to ask for SUPPORT, which you may have done via other methods, but you haven't done on this SUPPORT community. 

If you're just looking to vent, social media is that way ------->>>>>>>

maratsade

Interesting that they'd rather pay $1377.45 instead of cancelling and paying the ETF. 🙄

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Interesting that they'd rather pay $1377.45 instead of cancelling and paying the ETF. 🙄

Good point. 

The early termination fee is high, and the equipment has to be dismantled and returned. If Hughes judges the equipment to be in unsatisfactory condition, the customer has to pay the full NEW purchase price to Hughes. The risk and potential cost of all that is prohibitive. 

maratsade

The early termination fee is much less than the fee for 15 months (Edit: the fee for cancelling 15 months before the end of the contract is less than $200).  The user can remove the parts that HN wants back or can hire someone to remove them. And the equipment has to be returned even after the contract ends. 

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

The early termination fee is much less than the fee for 15 months (Edit: the fee for cancelling 15 months before the end of the contract is less than $200). 

I think it would be closer to $300. $400 for the first three months, then $15 less per month thereafter.

24 - 22 months remaining = $400 , 21 months = $385, 20 months = $370, 19 months = $355, 18 months = $340, 17 months = $325, 16 months = $310, 15 months = $295.

GabeU

The ETF would be about $295 at this point. Regarding the equipment not being satisfactory, I can honestly say that in my many years in this Community and the one before it I've not seen a single time where a customer was charged because the equipment returned wasn't in satisfactory condition. Not a single time. They don't expect it back in pristine condition, but rather in used condition, but in still working order. And after 9 months how much 'damage' can there be to the modem, its power adapter and the radio from the dish assembly? Those three things are all that has to be sent back. They don't need the dish assembly itself, just the radio from it.

You should try asking for help here. The reps here are corporate reps, and their abilities to help tend to be better than what's available on the phone or via chat, as they're not only more knowledgable, they have direct access to the engineers. They also have more leeway in what they can do for you. And though there's no guarantee to this, it's entirely possible that they could offer a more amenable cancellation option if they ultimately can't help to get the service running properly.

It's ultimately up to you.

BTW, regarding the video games, real time action games tend to work very poorly with this type of service because of the high latency. That is if they work at all. Unfortunately, nothing can be done about that, as most of that latency is due to the distance the signal has to travel, which is upwards of 90,000 miles or more for the four legs of travel (up then down for the transmit, then the reverse for the return). Nearly a half second of latency just from distance. Add the ground based infrastructure and it's ultimately 600 - 650ms on average. That latency makes real time games unplayable. Turn based games tend to be fine, however.