Hughesnet Community

Unruly techies

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unruly techies

Back in the dial up a BBS with a 1200 baud modem days, I hung out on a couple of boards: The international 'C' Programing Echo ( Those guys taught me a lot! ), and another that I can't recall anything about, except that the handle of one of the posters was Cthulu, and that many posters often ended their posts with some sort of quote.

Neither BBS would put up with the flames or disrespect to another poster, that I sometimes I see here. A first offense would get you a nasty note from the moderator. Three times and you were barred from posting. People that were barred sometimes tried to sneak back in under a different handle. This never worked, flamers got to flame.

The moderator was elected every year and they almost never ran for two consecutive terms. I called this "moderator burn out".

After all, who would want to ride herd over a bunch of unruly techies, 24/7, for more than one year?

This weekend seemed especially unruly to me.

IMO everybody should just lighten up!  Especially you members of the Kudo Klub Klique. :>)>

IMAGINATION, n. A warehouse of facts, with poet and liar in joint
ownership.
The Devils Dictionary

12 REPLIES 12
MarkJFine
Professor

I don't think you were here for the last go-around with that particular poster, when he/she was under a different name.

Whatever your opinion, the real point is this wasn't the first time.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

I don't think you were here for the last go-around with that particular poster, when he/she was under a different name.

Whatever your opinion, the real point is this wasn't the first time.

Very true.  

And I agree with gaines_wright wholeheartedly, though I view it in the opposite direction of what I assume he meant, though that assumption may be wrong.  

MissingSomething.pngI think something is missing here....I need to get out earlier.

GabeU

@MrBuster 

Trust me, what you missed wasn't worth the data it would have taken to read through it.  

GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

@GabeU  Wanna give me the story? 🙂

Not here, for the sake of the Community.  

Short story is, there is some underlying notion that I am some guy that rubbed the community the wrong way at some point

I provided my experience with HN support which was contrary to what was being shared within the community. I shared my education and work experience so as to assist techs and posters by knowing my knowledge base (you know, if I say I’m a physicist, RF engineer, and network engineer techs aren’t going to ask if I know how to reboot, proper hard restart protocol, cabling issues, etc) but it was taken as a holier than thou claim because they instantly believed me to be someone else.

The banter started, we both perpetuated and neither one of us relented. We were both responsible for increasingly tense communications. It’s over now though, at least this girl hopes so!
GabeU

@C0RR0SIVE 

To clarify a couple of points.  

1.  The main problem wasn't that we thought this person was MagicPhysicist.  That part was sort of what we took as an, "Oh no, here we go again." moment because of the similarities in the style of posting and replying, though it appears that we were, ultimately, incorrect on that.  

2.  I, personally, have no problem with vlad expressing her experience with customer support, nor her profession or work experience.  Things may have been taken in a way that wasn't intended because of the heightened tension.  And that part was definitely because of the above assumption of vlad really being MagicPhysicist, the latter of whom most definitely gave his profession, repeatedly, to explain how superior he was to all of us.  Anyone who was involved in that debacle remembers that very well.  So, again, a mistaken assumption of vlad being the same person increased the tension.  

3.  The main issue that set me off, and I admit, I reacted in a way I shouldn't have, was that in two threads with people seeking help, and in which established and proper troubleshooting instructions and procedures had been given, the OPs were instructed to ignore those troubleshooting instructions and procedures and instead perform procedures that were incorrect for the situation.  I felt this was a slap in the face to those of us who have been here a long time and know the proper troubleshooting steps and procedures.  And, lastly, on a third thread a person had asked about, or complained about (I can't remember which), system latency.  Satellite internet latency was explained, as well as verified by a HughesNet representative.  The latency inherent to the system was then refuted with ultimately incorrect information, and some snark was added to the end of the reply.  Snark that, in the already heightened state I was in, I took to mean that both myself and the HughesNet rep were, in so many words, lying to help ameliorate the person's concern or complaint, as was plainly claimed about other HughesNet reps' assertions about latency, which, again, were/are correct. 

Then, to stop subjecting the OPs on those first two threads to the craziness, I proceeded to move to replying on vlad's own thread, which was a stupid move.  

Again, this is not at all to restart anything that was ended, but only to help clarify the reasons for my reaction and continual replies on that evening.  I shouldn't have even set foot on vlad's thread, but I was already very agitated by what had taken place on the first two.  That's not to excuse my actions, but only to explain why.  It then devolved into utter ridiculousness.  😞   

The end result is that those four threads were archived by the reps to spare others from what could cause them to second guess the validity of this Support Community.

Edit:  I should add that I apoligize to the Community, as a whole, for what happened.   

................... "We were both responsible for increasingly tense communications. It’s over now though, at least this girl hopes so! "

Great!  I see from your other thread that your speed problems may be resolved also.

I may have to start a new thread called "agreeable techies".  :>)>

maratsade

I still don't know who these so-called "techies" are who are "unruly."

vladams2015
Sophomore

@gaines_wright wrote:

Back in the dial up a BBS with a 1200 baud modem days, I hung out on a couple of boards: The international 'C' Programing Echo ( Those guys taught me a lot! ), and another that I can't recall anything about, except that the handle of one of the posters was Cthulu, and that many posters often ended their posts with some sort of quote.

Neither BBS would put up with the flames or disrespect to another poster, that I sometimes I see here. A first offense would get you a nasty note from the moderator. Three times and you were barred from posting. People that were barred sometimes tried to sneak back in under a different handle. This never worked, flamers got to flame.

The moderator was elected every year and they almost never ran for two consecutive terms. I called this "moderator burn out".

After all, who would want to ride herd over a bunch of unruly techies, 24/7, for more than one year?

This weekend seemed especially unruly to me.

IMO everybody should just lighten up!  Especially you members of the Kudo Klub Klique. :>)>

IMAGINATION, n. A warehouse of facts, with poet and liar in joint
ownership.
The Devils Dictionary

I completely agree. There comes a time and place for offering help and experience and there comes a time and a place for offering correction. There is never a place for using argumentum ad verecundiam however it was ill-perceived that I was trying to do so [instead of understanding that the offering of ones education and job title help provide a different layer of assistance(which is why companies like HN open up a ticket that says "well-educated customer"...ergo it gives them a different basis of knowledge when offering their assistance)]. I wasn't, however, the only one using such logical fallacies.

Going on the attack, and continuing banter from both sides is quite petty, especially in this weekend's scenario(s)

I apologize to the majority for my engaging of the enemy in battle.