cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A way to save your data usage

Freshman

A way to save your data usage

       Will you please implement a way to turn on and off or data usage. I do anything from playing online games to using quickbooks for my business. I don't need high speed service to do most of the things I do online. When I do need the faster speed, I would like for it to be there. Example: when I play a online card games it's using up my data when I can play the same game at a slower speed and not use any data if I could turn off my data usage and turn it back on when I really need it. I would love to be able to watch netflix and youtube on my TV but I don't because I don't want to use up data I may need. I would pay for a higher data plan so I could watch more movies on netflix but I would still have the same problem, but I would be much more likely to pay for a larger data plan if I knew I had the ability to turn it on and off as needed. I'm sure other customers have the same problem and would also be more likely to purchase more GB of data if we had the ability to use it however we need it.

Thanks,
P.T.Lamb

10 REPLIES 10
Professor

Re: A way to save your data usage

I don't think they can do what you ask.  They sell a data package with variable speeds (because speed depends on many things, including your computer's configuration and apps), and data usage depends on what's using the data (something that happens on your side of the system), and they can't control how you use the data package they sell you. 

 

I'm sure someone like @MarkJFine or @GabeU can explain this way better. 

 

 

PTLamb wrote:

       Will you please implement a way to turn on and off or data usage. I do anything from playing online games to using quickbooks for my business. I don't need high speed service to do most of the things I do online. When I do need the faster speed, I would like for it to be there. Example: when I play a online card games it's using up my data when I can play the same game at a slower speed and not use any data if I could turn off my data usage and turn it back on when I really need it. I would love to be able to watch netflix and youtube on my TV but I don't because I don't want to use up data I may need. I would pay for a higher data plan so I could watch more movies on netflix but I would still have the same problem, but I would be much more likely to pay for a larger data plan if I knew I had the ability to turn it on and off as needed. I'm sure other customers have the same problem and would also be more likely to purchase more GB of data if we had the ability to use it however we need it.

Thanks,
P.T.Lamb



 

Freshman

Re: A way to save your data usage

Hey maratsade,

Your correct, but when I go to hughesnet website it's on my computer but it's a part of their system. If they changed their format and added what I suggested to their website I would think we would have access to do what I suggested.  If you have windows security, because they made it a part of the program you can turn it on and off so I would think Hughesnet could do the same. I'm by know means a software programer , but I would think it can be done.

Professor

Re: A way to save your data usage

I still think this is something they can't do, but hey, I'm sure someone more experienced can weigh in on this. 

Assistant Professor

Re: A way to save your data usage

I'm guessing it could be implemented by changing the way FAP works. If your usage is less than the FAP level they could allow a switch to temporarily switch FAP on, then allow you to switch it back off only if the usage isn't exceeded.

 

The problem with this is the expense and trouble to implement such a thing vastly outweighs its utility, especially for the majority of the customers' technical ability and understanding. You have a ton of people on here complaining that there's not enough data (for whatever reason) and don't know how to use the VDS as it is. Why complicate things even further with yet another option that no one else would understand how to use and is just as difficult for admins to explain?

Bottom line is really that HN provides you a pipe and provides tools and resources to adequately manage it. How you choose to use that pipe is entirely up to you.

"Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should."


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

Re: A way to save your data usage

"If your usage is less than the FAP level they could allow a switch to temporarily switch FAP on, then allow you to switch it back off only if the usage isn't exceeded."

 

Bonus: if HN implemented this, it would allow us to tell people to go FAP themselves. 

 

Assistant Professor

Re: A way to save your data usage


@maratsade wrote:

Bonus: if HN implemented this, it would allow us to tell people to go FAP themselves. 


LOOOOOOOL


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: A way to save your data usage

The other problem is that allowing people to save data in such a way and use it only when needed could cause the system to slow more than it already does at specific times, which are namely the late evenings, especially on the weekends.  Streaming would be the main thing people would save it for, and too many people trying to stream at the same time could slow the system to a crawl.

 

Needing to prioritize how data is used helps to keep the system much more usable for everyone.


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

Re: A way to save your data usage


@GabeU wrote:

people trying to stream at the same time could slow the system to a crawl.


I think that's what's happening now.


* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: A way to save your data usage


@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU wrote:

people trying to stream at the same time could slow the system to a crawl.


I think that's what's happening now.


No doubt.  But it would be even worse.  


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit