Hughesnet Community

Gen5 Upgrade..

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gen5 Upgrade..

I have decided to upgrade to Gen5. I have some questions that I want to be addressed before the install. 

I currently have an HN9000 model which uses 2 cables from the dish to modem.  I had my initial install done in 2008.   Will the installer run new cable for the new system or just use the old?   With it being 9 years old would it be best to advise them to run new??  I know Gen5 uses only one cable, do they only run one single cable or do they still use the dual combined cable and only connect one of them?  (Just a note my cable is ran above ground, I don't know if HughesNet recommends this, but I have a water line running across under ground between where dish is and house so having the cable underground is not really an option). 

I was looking around for some details on what a normal install consists of and could not find any information.  I know before pole mounts were extra cost and if you need more than a certain amount of cable, is there a cable limit now? (I had to pay extra when my system was installed in 2008).   I am hoping to be able to use my current pole but if the installer suggests a new pole or location is pole mounts extra?.... In 2008, I bought a pole / concrete and put it in myself.... The installer showed us where he recommended and then came back the next day to do the install with no extra charge having to come back.

38 REPLIES 38

I see posts in different threads about going to www.systemcontrolcenter.com ....  Nothing loads for me on my Gen5 system.  I get a The connection has timed out message.  I can load 192.168.0.1 with no problem.   Why wont it load going to the web address as well?  Any other Gen5 users have this issue as well?

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@wildcats198308 wrote:

I see posts in different threads about going to www.systemcontrolcenter.com ....  Nothing loads for me on my Gen5 system.  I get a The connection has timed out message.  I can load 192.168.0.1 with no problem.   Why wont it load going to the web address as well?  Any other Gen5 users have this issue as well?

Are you using a public DNS server, like Google's or someone else's?  Doing so can cause that.  I use Google's and it does that for me, too.  I have to use 192.168.0.1.  

@GabeU wrote:
Are you using a public DNS server, like Google's or someone else's?  Doing so can cause that.  I use Google's and it does that for me, too.  I have to use 192.168.0.1.  

I use Firefox  mostly.  But I havent tried any other browsers.   I just tried Internet Explorer, Chrome, Opera, and Edge.  None of them will open it using www.systemcontrolcenter.com.   I believe with my Spaceway HN9000 modem I was able to open it that way, but I was always used to typing 192.168.0.1 so always used that.  It sounds like with Gen5 it does not accept www.systemcontrolcenter.com ??

GabeU

@wildcats198308

Not the browser you use, but the DNS settings for your computer's network adapter.  Some people change their DNS settings from the default setting of obtaining the DNS server address automatically, which ends up using Hughesnet's DNS server, to manually setting it to Google's or someone else's.    

If you didn't manually change your DNS settings in your adapter, then it's probably using Hughesnet's, and if it is, I don't know why using the www.systemcontrolcenter.com address won't work for you.  I'm sure the more adept people like Corrosive, BirdDog and Gwalk may have an idea as to why using that URL for the System Control Center isn't working.  

But, with that said, at least you can still get to the SCC using its IP address.  

@GabeU.

No I did not change anything.  Everything is what ever it was set automatically.   If its something that needs changed to be able to use the web address, Why do they advise people to go to www.systemcontrolcenter.com  just going to cause more confusion with the basic person.   I know what is meant if someone says system control center so I know where to go (I know both methods are listed in posts)  

GabeU

@wildcats198308

They use the www.systemcontrolcenter.com address because that's the main address to go to.  It works for most people, and if it's not working that suggests that something is altered with the setup.  What exactly can cause that problem, other than what I mentioned, I don't know.  I'm sure there are other things, but I don't know enough about them to know what to suggest.  

And along with the fact that it works for most people, the general public knows what an address like that is and what they are supposed to do with it, but if Hughesnet listed an IP address as the location of the SCC, many people wouldn't know what to do with it.  They'd be clueless as to how they are supposed to use a bunch of numbers and dots to get anywhere.  

Again, the fact that the www address doesn't get you to the SCC suggests something is different with the set up that would enable you to utilize that.  It doesn't mean it's a problem, per se, but only that whatever is going on stops your broswer from being able to utilize that address for the SCC.  It shouldn't be affecting anything else.

Like I said, I know the reason that I can't personally use it is because of me using Google's DNS servers, so I just use the IP address.  Why you can't use it I don't know.  

I just connected my laptop directly to the modem and tried going to www.systemcontrolcenter.com and it worked.  So I guess its my router thats stopping it.   Does anyone know what I can / should do to get it working with my router?  

Don't know if will work for you but I've been using Google servers for years.

RouterSettings.JPG

GabeU

@BirdDog

Are you able to use www.systemcontrolcenter.com to get to the SCC?  When using Google's servers I am not, but when using Hughesnet's I am.  With that said, this was with Gen4.  I haven't tried using Hughesnet's own servers with Gen5 as of yet (save for the first few minutes after the install).  When it was installed one of the first things I did was change the DNS in the HT2000W to Google's. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, have been able to use http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com/ for a long time. I am Gen4 though. Satellite internet is a fickle beast.

Maybe the ghost of Barbara is hovering over me.

GabeU

I gave it a try and was able to use that URL for the SCC when using Hughesnet's DNS servers.  Still not able to when using Google's.  Interesting.  

@BirdDog  Do you use a router or just direct connect to the modem?  I never really went to www.systemcontrolcenter.com on my HN9000 system,  I have a few times in the past though and it worked.   Cant remember if I did with my current router or not. 

@GabeU  I still dont know what you mean by Hughesnet's DNS servers.  How do you change servers?   Did you try using Google's while directly connected to the modem not over WiFi.  But the HughesNet WiFi should work being its built in the modem.   I am not a fan of the built in WiFi so I really dont want to test it on mine.  (I'd have to turn the WiFi  on to test)

GabeU

You are able have the adapter (network card) in your computer automatically find and use a DNS server, which, in this case, would be Hughesnet's due to being on their system, or you can change it to use Google's DNS servers.  What you change on the adapter is the IPv4 and IPv6 DNS settings.  You can leave it set to automatically obtain the DNS server address, which will use Hughesnet's, or override that and strictly use Google's DNS server address.  

You can also change your router to do the same.  If it's set to automatically obtain the DNS address, it will use Hughesnet's, but you can override that and input Google's, and it will use that.  The difference between your computer's adapter and the router is that the router only has a setting to override the IPv4 address.  

The first picture is from the network adapter in my desktop.  The second is from the HT2000W's router.  

In the picture below of the router's DNS settings, the former Google settings are still showing, but it is using the "Obtain from ISP" setting.   When you back to using the ISPs setttings from Google's, it doesn't delete Google's DNS address from the boxes.  It just no longer uses them.  

CaptureDDNS.JPGCaptureRDNS.JPG

What is the reasoning to want to use Google servers over HughesNet?  Is performance better? 

GabeU

@wildcats198308 wrote:

What is the reasoning to want to use Google servers over HughesNet?  Is performance better? 

It can be.  If someone is having problems like delays and such with browsing, using a public DNS, like Google's, can sometimes help.  Not always, as sometimes the problem lies in the computer itself, but when it's DNS server related, it may help.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, I can also stream video when speed reports under 1 Mbps. Yes, interesting. I've kind of given up finding a rhyme or reason with satellite internet. Why I feel a bit useless here anymore.

All I know is I can stream about anytime I want. I don't do HD, mostly LD to conserve data.

I digress, sorry. Smiley Tongue

GabeU

@BirdDog wrote:

Well, I can also stream video when speed reports under 1 Mbps. Yes, interesting. I've kind of given up finding a rhyme or reason with satellite internet. Why I feel a bit useless here anymore.

All I know is I can stream about anytime I want. I don't do HD, mostly LD to conserve data.

I digress, sorry. Smiley Tongue

Were you possibly answering a question from a different thread?  

@GabeU@BirdDog 

I was thinking the same thing... I was like umm ok dont know what thats all about...