Hughes WIFI does not work using VPN slow spped

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olimpia_g1963
New Poster

Hughes WIFI does not work using VPN slow spped

I started my services with Hughes net in October 2017; prior to my starting this internet services, I had contact the Sales person and they offered a good deal. I mention to the saleperson that I was needing the internet WIFI to work for me since I am a State of Texas employee and I work from home and so I use a VPN to log into the the secured work site. She stated that this would be no problem using it for work. So I had noticed once I did start working my laptop was a a very slow speed. My speed test were drastically low! I contacted the helpdesk with HughesNet and that person ran a check also and stated there were no issues and I mention to her that I was requesting a tech to come out and perform a spot check and she stated that would be 150 to come out to check when she can check ti now and it showed that the internet was working. I also explanin to her that when the tech had came out it was thundering and pouring rain when he installed so maybe he didn't do it correctly and she went on to say no everything shows on her end working. So then I asked her if I could opt out of this contract since I hadn't even been with them a month and she stated that it would cost me $400 to cancel. Of course I don't have that kind of money. Again I express myself telling her that I need a faster speed to use for work using the VPN and she concluded telling me that I needed to turn off my TVs and my tablets and phones that are using the WIFI so I can get a better connection!! REALLY!! Ugh. So we ended our conversation with that. I conducted a survey on this call and I gave them all low scores. Today, 12/01/2017 I recieved a call from Art, from Phoenix AZ office and he was asking why I had such low scores on the survey, that's when I proceeded to explain everything in detail as I have done above. He mention to me that both the sales person and the person that I spoke to should of let me know that HughesNet does not work well with VPNs. I want to file a complaint for misrepresentation of services to HughesNet. The internet is not compatable to use of a VPN. My job is very senstive since I work for the State of Texas and my work is time senstive to make sure my job is done to saving children's lives. I cannot be having a slow dragging internet. I would like to have someone contact me ASAP, to have my services discontinue as quickly as possible so I can move on to get another provide that will asisst me on getting my work done effectively and efficent. Art was very thoughtful and very knowledgable to assist me on getting me more info on about the VPN and how it does not work.  Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hughesnet doesn't guarantee speeds at all, speeds are advertised as upto, that is covered in the contract, and it is well known by many that VPN over a satellite connection is iffy at best, as it usually doesn't work at all.  I am sure @Liz or @Amanda would be more than happy to look into your sales call to see if you was mislead, and if so, coach the sales agent, and let you out ETF free.  Agents, from my understanding are to state that VPN services are not supported on Hughesnet if the customer makes mention of using a VPN.

However, if it has been more than 90 days since the sales call, they may not be able to pull up the sales recording.  Also, if not found in your favor (the agent explained everything properly) then you will be subject to the ETF.

Hi Olimpia,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. I've pulled up your account and can certainly submit a request to have your sales call reviewed to confirm what happened during the conversation regarding VPN usage. As C0RR0SIVE mentioned, and as you found out from Art, VPN usage is not recommended with HughesNet, as it will decrease speeds up to 50-70%.

I'll post back once I have an update on the review for you. Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

ARIZONABOB19
New Poster

I live in PRESCOTT AZ (MANY FOREST AROUND HERE)  service is sooooooooooo  sloooooowww here...I call all the time nothing ever gets resolved..TRIED to cancel but they want over 600.00 for the 2yr agreement...WELL if service sks they should fix it or cancel my service.. Never get to talk to a supervisor always some rep. I think in the Phillipines....

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ARIZONABOB19 wrote:

I live in PRESCOTT AZ (MANY FOREST AROUND HERE)  service is sooooooooooo  sloooooowww here...I call all the time nothing ever gets resolved..TRIED to cancel but they want over 600.00 for the 2yr agreement...WELL if service sks they should fix it or cancel my service.. Never get to talk to a supervisor always some rep. I think in the Phillipines....

Are you using a VPN?  If so, please read what is stated above concerning them.  

Judging by your cancellation fee it sounds like you have a business account.  To receive tech help with a business account you have to go through the business department, but I don't know what that phone number is.  

Good morning ARIZONABOB19,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. If you would like to troubleshoot with us online, please start a new thread in the Tech Support board. Otherwise, you may review our early termination terms and conditions as seen in our legal section before you decide to cancel and go with the other ISP you already signed up with, according to your case notes:

Early Termination: Lease Option 

If you cancel your order before installation, you will be refunded the amount that was collected at time of order.

If you cancel after activation but before the end of your 24-month term commitment, you will be charged a Service Termination Fee of up to $400. The exact amount of the Service Termination Fee will be $400 for the first ninety (90) days after activation of the HughesNet Service. Thereafter, the amount will decrease by $15 per month for each month of active Service.
Further, you must return your HughesNet modem, power supply, and radio in good condition within 45 days of cancellation date or be charged a $300 Unreturned Equipment Fee ($100 for the modem and power supply and $200 for the radio transmitter).
If you cancel after the end of your 24-month term commitment, you must return your HughesNet modem, power supply, and radio in good condition within 45 days of cancellation date or be charged a $300 Unreturned Equipment Fee ($100 for the modem and power supply and $200 for the radio transmitter).

Gabe, while this customer does not have a business account, business account customers should call for tech and billing support at 800.347.3272.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Olimpia,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Hi Liz. I sent you a private message. Please check your inbox.

Thanks, Olimpia!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Liz wrote: 

Gabe, while this customer does not have a business account, business account customers should call for tech and billing support at 800.347.3272. 

I'll make sure to bookmark this so I have it in the future if needs be.  Thanks!