I like my gen5 plan but we were lied to about data usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robp1
Junior

I like my gen5 plan but we were lied to about data usage

We signed up with gen5 with the understanding that after our data was used we would be slowed down to 1-3mbps. This is not true, our highest data speed is under 1mbps and can not do anything. Our phone service also stops working and when I attempt to call tech support, the dumb sat phone disconnects.
8 REPLIES 8
Brooke
Alum

Hi Robp1, welcome and thank you for reaching out to us on the community! I appreciate you bringing this to my attention, I hope I can clarify things up for you. We unfortunately can't guarantee speeds will be exactly between 1-3mbps; they will have variances. To quote from our website here that goes over all the legal details: 

"All Service Plans feature the No Hard Data Limits where the user can continue to use the Service without being charged for additional data usage.  If a user uses more data than is provided in the monthly plan, he or she will experience reduced data speeds, until their next billing period. Reduced speeds may be as low as or lower than 1 Mbps and may cause Web sites to load more slowly or affect the performance of certain activities such as video streaming or large downloads/uploads."

With your HughesVoice, please correct me if I misunderstood, but it sounds like you're using it when you call in for tech support; what may be happening when you call in to tech support is, if they have you reboot your modem, your phone line gets cut off as well. So it's best to let them know if you're using your Hughes phone prior to them doing any troubleshooting.

I hope this clarifies things.

-Brooke

The original complaint was the sales rep lied to complete the sale. We have really good luck with gen5 however, our raisin continues to malfunction causing low speeds (even with the 20 gigs) after the data is used we had some problems accessing stuff however, it still worked well enough to make Calls. Now that the data is used and the radio is messing up our phone service disconnects mid call, and some days our best speeds are as low as 128k. When our gen5 equipment is working correctly after resetting everything we can do almost anything. But now resetting the modem does not seem to help, and calling tech support is a joke, because it disconnects mid call and no one can call in or out. We have no cell service here or land line making it even harder to get this mess sorted. I have the insurance on the stuff but can’t seem to utilize it.

I want to clarify some things to make sure I understand:

- Are you experiencing slow speeds before you reach the end of your monthly data cap?

- Are the calls disconnecting once you've reached your monthly data cap?

I ran a diagnostic and I don't currently see any issues, but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I'd like for you to try some steps for me. 

1.  Unplug the ATA (Voice unit).  

2.  Unplug the HughesNet modem at the wall outlet or power pack (Do NOT unplug from the back of the modem).

3.  Wait for at least 30 seconds after unplugging the HughesNet modem, then plug the modem back in.

4.  Wait for about five minutes so that the HughesNet modem is fully back up and running, then plug in the ATA.

5.  Make sure all the cables are securely attached. 

Let me know if that helps!

-Brooke

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have completed those steps multiple times. It works for about an hour and then drags out again. When I have called tech support they do tell me there is an issue with the equipment. Even if the Data is refreshed the phone service knocks out on almost every call. What I can say worked better during this last battle of the Modem, was taking every device I could of of the 2.4 ghz network and putting them on the 5 ghz network. The speeds did pick back up for a few hours but then crashed again. My max download speed with full Data is only 10 mbps per your speed test) the unload is always fast.

I was also lied to and I see one generec answer after another.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you would like your issues addressed, please start your own topic in the appropriate area, such as Tech Support or myAccount and Billing.  

@Aspencade wrote:

I was also lied to and I see one generec answer after another.

Thanks for getting back to be Rob. After running further diagnostics on your account, I saw you have a marginal alignment with your dish. I went ahead and set you up with a complimentary technician visit to address this. You'll receive a call/text to confirm or reschedule the appointment. 

Hope this helps!

-Brooke

Hi Robp1, I hope everything has been well since I last heard from you. I'm going to close this thread due to inactivity, but if you have any additional questions, feel free to start a new thread and we'll be glad to help!

Thank you.

-Brooke