Internet speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mrayko
New Poster

Internet speed

What, if anything is being done to increase the down throttle speed to a more reasonable level that does not render my internet essentially useless only a few days into each month. I cannot afford to keep paying exuberant prices for service that is too slow for the bulk of a pay period. Honestly 1 - 3 mbps (ALWAYS 1) is not acceptable in the digital age of 2019 where even basic web surfing consumed data due to increased graphics and streaming, let alone day to day activities. Most people could get by with 5- 10 mbps and would never notice a slow down, but the constand buffering, slow downloads and dropping of service will make me not continue service when my contract is up. In the day where internet is a needed service for most anyone, a reasonable speed is not that  much to ask for without having to sell an organ to pay for it.

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

What do you mean when you say "down throttle speed"?  Speed is throttled when people use up all their data. This is part of HN's fair access policy (FAP). 

Buffering is due to latency and/or congestion, both a reality of satellite internet.

Satellite internet is an expensive technology to build and maintain -- we all pay higher prices for it.  Throughput is less than terrestial cable, so we all have to share a more limited resource pool.  That's the reality of satellite internet. 

If you feel the service doesn't work for you, you're absolutely free to discontinue the subscription whenever you want. 

If you would like someone to help troubleshoot your network, please post under Tech Support and educate yourself as to the required troubleshooting steps. 

mrayko wrote:

What, if anything is being done to increase the down throttle speed to a more reasonable level that does not render my internet essentially useless only a few days into each month. I cannot afford to keep paying exuberant prices for service that is too slow for the bulk of a pay period. Honestly 1 - 3 mbps (ALWAYS 1) is not acceptable in the digital age of 2019 where even basic web surfing consumed data due to increased graphics and streaming, let alone day to day activities. Most people could get by with 5- 10 mbps and would never notice a slow down, but the constand buffering, slow downloads and dropping of service will make me not continue service when my contract is up. In the day where internet is a needed service for most anyone, a reasonable speed is not that  much to ask for without having to sell an organ to pay for it.

We have a house with hardline 12 meg or so internet and a cabin with Hughes net. At either location, we notice congestion or lack of available bandnet slow downs at peak hours.

Winstream offers a hardline service at the cabin. Which is about as fast as the old dial up DSL I had back in the 1990s.

In short, my only complaint about Hughes net is the same as DirecTV. Or when it is raining real hard; no service. Overall, we are quite happy with Hughes. 

Personally, I was using Wild Blue when I was living in Oklahoma in 2004 - 2009. My installer yesterday said "This is much better than Wild Blue". Last night I had 1 TV being used and 2 phones connected but NOT being used. every 2-3 minutes the show I was watching would stop **bleep** on a link a page would take less than 2 seconds to load. A simple text page with a few graphics on Hughes takes 5 seconds before ANYTHING starts  to show. Hughes Satelite service is SLOWER than DSL I was using in Olahoma. THATS BAD!!!

This is the slowest broadband I have ever used.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Something that's important for subscribers to understand is that each subscriber's experience is unique and it depends on many different variables, including location, beam, weather, number of devices connected to the network, and others.  

It would be quite foolish for subscribers to rely on or place too much weight on the experiences of others. 

It is also important for people to know that satellite internet should not be compared to terrestrial cable; the two are different technologies, and satellite internet can't (at least right now) be as fast as cable internet. 

This site is best used for its intended purpose: finding solutions to problems by tapping the collective knowledge of fellow subscribers, with the ocassional intervention of Hughesnet corporate employees (who have far more authority to provide solutions than do other tiers of customer support such as phone and chat).  

If you'd like support for your speed issues, you should create a detailed post under Tech Support. 

TnRig wrote: