Limited plans, nothing more than 20Gig

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Quej
New Poster

Limited plans, nothing more than 20Gig

Tried to upgrade to something more than 20 gig today. In spite of the page that says I can go 30 and 50, customer service says no. Here in Community, I see the reason: Hughes is too popular!

Looking at the really low levels of satisfaction toward ViaSat, I will have to wait for Boeing's CircleID 3000 and SpaceX's Starlink 12000 low orbit satellite systems to come on line "as early as" 2020. But when that happens, no need for a dish! And ping delay dissappears! Gen 5. Online gaming will be possible. 

Ooh! Sounds too good to be true.

2 REPLIES 2
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's network management. Satellites have limited capacity, and satellite ISPs need to share the bandwidth.  If they offered all the plans everywhere, people would whine even more than you are now. Have fun waiting for your dream ISP. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@Quej wrote:

Tried to upgrade to something more than 20 gig today. In spite of the page that says I can go 30 and 50, customer service says no. Here in Community, I see the reason: Hughes is too popular!

Looking at the really low levels of satisfaction toward ViaSat, I will have to wait for Boeing's CircleID 3000 and SpaceX's Starlink 12000 low orbit satellite systems to come on line "as early as" 2020. But when that happens, no need for a dish! And ping delay dissappears! Gen 5. Online gaming will be possible. 

Ooh! Sounds too good to be true.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Who knows how many areas will actually be served and in what countries by 2020. I'm guessing not that widespread right off the bat, they've been pretty tight lipped about exact coverage.

This is interesting about lowering the orbits so they burn up quicker after failure: https://www.inverse.com/article/50755-spacex-starlink-satellites