Hughesnet Community

Retiring of the Usage Meter - Dumb Decision!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mac_Guy
Freshman

Retiring of the Usage Meter - Dumb Decision!!

I received an email saying the Usage Meter was being retired!! Why would HughesNet retire the Usage Meter????? This is the dumbest decision I could imagine. I now have an icon in my Mac's menu bar that I can click on to immediately give me access to usage and other information. HughesNet is now forcing me to use a smartphone app to get the same information. Who has a smartphone running next to their computer? I don't even get a cellphone signal at my home. Or else I have to have a web browser running and log into my HughesNet account which isn't nearly as convenient. How can we get HughesNet to continue to support the Usage Meter?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hi Mac_Guy,

It looks like you received some really helpful information so far, but I wanted to swing by and leave an official reference for you and anyone who has the same question. The amount of users who actually have the status meter desktop app installed was extremely low (less than 1% of our over 1 million subscribers). This ended up utilizing resources we felt we could better use developing new and improved tools. 

This URL will explain more, but to make it easier for others to see, I will paste the contents here:

Notice: The Usage Meter has been retired.

The Usage Meter (formerly Status Meter) has been retired.  Please discontinue use and uninstall this tool.  The Usage Meter will no longer be supported by HughesNet Customer Care and is not available for download.

However, there is great news! You can do all the things you did on Usage Meter (plus much more) on the HughesNet Mobile App and on myHughesNet.com.

Simply download the Mobile App in the App store or Google Play to track data usage, purchase tokens and view your bill or visit myHughesNet.com.

------------------------

As others have mentioned, you can also avoid signing in to any website or app (as long as you are checking while on your HughesNet Wi-Fi connection) by browsing to www.systemcontrolcenter.com or http://192.168.0.1 . You can do this wired or wirelessly!

Those links will take you to your HughesNet System Control Center which resides in your modem. This is where your old desktop Status Meter used to 'draw' the data usage information from. You can bookmark these pages and access them from virtually any device with a web browser. 

If you really want to get to that page fast, you can create a shortcut on your desktop on Windows:

> Right click your desktop screen

> Hover to "New", select the "Shortcut" option

> Type in one of the addresses listed above

> Click 'Next'

> Name your shortcut (you can change this later)

> Click "Finish"

A new shortcut will be made using your default web browser. Just double click it and it should take you right to your System Control Center homepage!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

A while back, one of the reps on this site explained that it had to do with adoption and usage. As for what to do, you've shared your opinion here. It's doubtful it will have an impact on a corporate decision. Time to move on. 

EDIT: BTW, you don't have to login to your account to see usage. You can use the SCC for that.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You can easily continue to use your Hughesnet Usage/Status meter.  However, functionality of it will start to become limited, such as buying tokens.  Newer modems will not be added to the list of modems that it can read either.

The best long-term solution is to create a favorites link to the SCC of your Hughesnet modem if you want easy and quick access to the usage information.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Things change and you roll with it.  

Amanda

Hi Mac_Guy,

It looks like you received some really helpful information so far, but I wanted to swing by and leave an official reference for you and anyone who has the same question. The amount of users who actually have the status meter desktop app installed was extremely low (less than 1% of our over 1 million subscribers). This ended up utilizing resources we felt we could better use developing new and improved tools. 

This URL will explain more, but to make it easier for others to see, I will paste the contents here:

Notice: The Usage Meter has been retired.

The Usage Meter (formerly Status Meter) has been retired.  Please discontinue use and uninstall this tool.  The Usage Meter will no longer be supported by HughesNet Customer Care and is not available for download.

However, there is great news! You can do all the things you did on Usage Meter (plus much more) on the HughesNet Mobile App and on myHughesNet.com.

Simply download the Mobile App in the App store or Google Play to track data usage, purchase tokens and view your bill or visit myHughesNet.com.

------------------------

As others have mentioned, you can also avoid signing in to any website or app (as long as you are checking while on your HughesNet Wi-Fi connection) by browsing to www.systemcontrolcenter.com or http://192.168.0.1 . You can do this wired or wirelessly!

Those links will take you to your HughesNet System Control Center which resides in your modem. This is where your old desktop Status Meter used to 'draw' the data usage information from. You can bookmark these pages and access them from virtually any device with a web browser. 

If you really want to get to that page fast, you can create a shortcut on your desktop on Windows:

> Right click your desktop screen

> Hover to "New", select the "Shortcut" option

> Type in one of the addresses listed above

> Click 'Next'

> Name your shortcut (you can change this later)

> Click "Finish"

A new shortcut will be made using your default web browser. Just double click it and it should take you right to your System Control Center homepage!