Voice phone number porting not working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
moskeeland
New Poster

Voice phone number porting not working

Hi.  Just signed up for the service including voice service.  So far the internet service is working great, but when I signed up I requested to bring my current phone number with me so that I can cancel my existing phone service.  I was assured that it would work, but of course it does not.  According to Hughesnet customer service, I am trying to port a non-local number.  This is not the case, my current number as well as my new number assigned by Hughesnet are both local numbers for my area.  Not sure why they can't do this, but we run a business and keeping the same number is a must and a deal-breaker if we can't.  Customer service by phone was not much help at all.  Anyone have some ideas on this?

Thank you...

6 REPLIES 6
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

This sounds like something the official HughesNet reps on this site may need to look into.  They're normally around M-F during business hours, but it may take a day or so for them to get back to you.   

Damian

@moskeeland,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this. I would like to look into this issue and provide assistance. Please private message me the phone number associated with your account and I will begin

-Damian 

PM sent thank you.

@moskeeland,

Thank you for providing me that information via private message. Upon researching your account, it appears you have a Business account. Unfortunately, our social media/community platforms are designed to support Residential customers only. This means I will be unable to look into your account or provide porting information as it may differ between Residential and Business. For assistance with this issue, please call Business support at 1-800-347-3272. I am confident our representatives will be able to provide information and resolve this for you.   

-Damian

I tried calling the business number you suggest but I am told there is nothing they can do to let me keep my current number.  Disappointing since the sales person assured me that I can.  Not sure why I can't keep my phone number since it is federal law...

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You wouldn't be able to pursue this issue in this community since you're a business subscriber; you will need to pursue it through the number @Damian gave you.  I suggest you read the business subscriber agreement, which includes a procedure for dispute resolution. 

moskeeland wrote:

I tried calling the business number you suggest but I am told there is nothing they can do to let me keep my current number.  Disappointing since the sales person assured me that I can.  Not sure why I can't keep my phone number since it is federal law...