WiFi booster

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
C-Walker
Freshman

WiFi booster

My family and I had went through our monthly plan so fast it seems over the few months we have had HughesNet. A very nice and seemingly knowledgeable representative has informed me that there has been equipment issues connect with the lose of our data. She was generous enough to help with this situation so.....Thanks a bunch for that! Now I’m looking at the WiFi boosters that HughesNet is offering. Should I purchase a booster for my home for when we do go over our monthly plan? Will this help with signal enough to where it will go faster than a tortoise? Or would I just be wasting my money? Some help plz and thanks.
3 REPLIES 3
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I think the wifi booster only extends the signal, so if you have an area with low wifi strength, then it'd boost the signal there. It's not a booster (as far as I know) in the sense of improving the signal.  You should look at data management to figure out how to budget your data so it doesn't disappear so quickly. 

You can measure your wifi strength with the Hughesnet app.  If it's good in every room of your house, then you wouldn't need the booster. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@C-Walker wrote:
My family and I had went through our monthly plan so fast it seems over the few months we have had HughesNet. A very nice and seemingly knowledgeable representative has informed me that there has been equipment issues connect with the lose of our data. She was generous enough to help with this situation so.....Thanks a bunch for that! Now I’m looking at the WiFi boosters that HughesNet is offering. Should I purchase a booster for my home for when we do go over our monthly plan? Will this help with signal enough to where it will go faster than a tortoise? Or would I just be wasting my money? Some help plz and thanks.

The signal isn’t that great in all the house but I’m not sure if it is bad enough to actually purchase one. Thanks for the info.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@C-Walker wrote:
The signal isn’t that great in all the house but I’m not sure if it is bad enough to actually purchase one. 

If you have a weak signal in a lot of your house, then chances are the WiFi Booster wouldn't really be the product to help.  It's more for extending the signal in one general direction, like if you had one side of the house that had a weak signal, or even no signal, rather than extending the signal outward, in all directions, from the modem's location.  It's placed halfway between where you have an excellent signal, and where the signal drops to none, in order to extend the signal out a bit farther in that general direction. 

However, in case you are unaware of this, you can use a third party router with HughesNet.  The HT2000W's WiFi is fairly basic and the signal reach is average, at best, so many people, and especially those with larger homes, or homes that don't allow a good signal reach, choose to use their own WiFi router.  For the price of the WiFi Booster, which I believe is $99, you may very well be able to get a router that would be better, overall, including in the area of signal reach.  

Though I don't recommend any particular router and people should choose one that fits their needs, as an example of one that fits within that price range take a look at the Netgear Nighthawk R6700 (AC1750) at Amazon, or any site you like.  It's a very popular one.  

Hope this helps.  🙂