Hughesnet Community

allowance of speed vs usage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MannyVazkz

allowance of speed vs usage

Hi, I find that the full speed is not always necesary, but when you reach your limit you go down to almost unusable. My Sugestion is, instead of giving 25mbps all the time, why not create a plan that gives you the same 30gb but at only 4mbps? it will make the allowance last a lot longer, the speed would be 'ok' and you will not get to the 1mbps so fast. 

I understand how bandwith and speed work, but loading a website, makes no real difference is at 25 or 4, but it uses the allowance.. 

Do I make sense?

5 REPLIES 5
Liz

Hi Manny,

Welcome and thanks for your suggestion, it does make sense! I'll go ahead and pass your valuable feedback on to the appropriate department. Thank you again!

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

"instead of giving 25mbps all the time, why not create a plan that gives you the same 30gb but at only 4mbps?"

To qualify as broadband as per government definition, they have to provide "25 Mbps downstream and 3 Mbps upstream." 

Liz

Good point, maratsade, I forgot about the "broadband" distinction. This isn't the first time someone has suggested lower speeds to save data. 🙂

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

I guess the company could do it, but they'd lose the broadband definition, and that may not be a good thing business-wise. 🙂

GabeU

@MannyVazkz wrote:

My Sugestion is, instead of giving 25mbps all the time, why not create a plan that gives you the same 30gb but at only 4mbps? it will make the allowance last a lot longer, the speed would be 'ok' and you will not get to the 1mbps so fast. 

It really all depends on how someone uses the net.  The most data intensive thing people do is streaming, and Gen5 has the Video Data Saver, which limits the speed while doing so, and to a speed lower than 4Mbps.  File downloads and app/OS updates might take longer, of course, but people would still most likely do those things, which would use the same amount of data, regardless.  

Really, the biggest thing that a limited speed would help, data wise, is when people have devices on their network that are using data that they aren't aware of, or at least do not know how or why the data is being used.  The longer it takes to notice, the more would/could be used, though.   

Ads and embedded videos can certainly use a lot of data, and depending on how someone browses they could cause higher data usage when there is higher available speed.  The data that ads can use can be combated by installing an ad blocker in one's browser, which can help to save a good amount of it.  uBlock Origin and AdBlock Plus are the two most common.   There are some apps that can help with the embedded videos, too, causing them to not download.