gen 5 upgrade

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shadowwalker.20
Sophomore

gen 5 upgrade

I was wondering if I move to gen 5 from gen 4. Do i need an installer come out. Or can I just hook up new modem? Also I see that gen 5 has plans that show for new customers that are cheaper for 12 months. Does that include us that upgrade?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
shadowwalker.20
Sophomore

Mods can disregard. I called and they will be installing on the 29th. Had the offer of free activation and install. Or $20 off per month for 12 months

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

For current customers go to upgrade.hughesnet.com for the current upgrade deals... 

As of now the Gen5 upgrades are not listed, it says Gen5 upgrade plans coming soon...  

Hopefully they give us current customers a deal to upgrade!  I myself am still on an old plan and system from 2008!  I'd like to see higher Free Zone limits (I currently have Unlimited - why I never upgraded to Gen4).

I just pulled up Gen 5 offers, and the offer they have for me to up grade, The Online offer that runs out 6/30/2017

Looks like you can rent for $14.99 a month Or Buy for $349.00

$49.00 a month for 20 Gigs

$69.00............... 30 Gigs

And you still get the 50 GB/month of FREE data to use during off-peak hours (2am - 8am).

~
All HughesNet Gen5 Plans Include:

Faster Speeds
25 Mbps download and 3 Mbps upload speeds.†

Built-In Wi-Fi
Connect your home like never before.

No Hard Data Limits††
Even if you exceed your plan data, we won't cut you off or charge you more. You can stay connected at reduced speeds until the next billing cycle.

Video Data Saver§
Watch more videos using less data. HughesNet Gen5 automatically adjusts data rates for streaming video to deliver great picture quality while using less of your data.

Bonus Zone
50 GB/month of FREE data to use during off-peak hours (2am - 8am).

24-month Commitment
All service plans require a 24-month commitment.

In my opinion this is a way better plan than Verizon Wireless. If your running thru 30 Gigs of Data Streaming your watching U-Tube Videos 7 days a week..

https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started#14716

Have you called in to see if they would allow you to upgrade?  upgrade.hughesnet.com just says coming soon.  I called and they wouldnt allow me to upgrade.  They said they are upgrading customers from Gen 3 to Gen 5 then they will allow Gen 4 customers to upgrade to Gen 5.

I installed my system less than a month ago based on the 3rd party sales companies recommendation to upgrade to Gen 5 on March 16th.  Now I am being told I can't.  That is if the customer service agent this morning was telling me the truth.

@JH wrote:

Have you called in to see if they would allow you to upgrade?  upgrade.hughesnet.com just says coming soon.  I called and they wouldnt allow me to upgrade.  They said they are upgrading customers from Gen 3 to Gen 5 then they will allow Gen 4 customers to upgrade to Gen 5.

I installed my system less than a month ago based on the 3rd party sales companies recommendation to upgrade to Gen 5 on March 16th.  Now I am being told I can't.  That is if the customer service agent this morning was telling me the truth.

~ ~ ~

I just tried to purchase one of Gen5 up Grade plans, and it looks like the earliest for the new install will be around April 2nd are 3rd... in my area... Their should be no reason for you not being able to up grade your plan with newer equipment like the Gen5.

I will try again later...

I never called. I did put my address in and it say gen 5 is in my area. I find that if you come here, you get a better answer from one of the mods. I was just wondering, it says you must be a new customer to get the savings. Well if you want to get all tech. You are a new customer when you upgrade to gen 5. Because you start a new contract for 2 years.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

", it says you must be a new customer to get the savings. Well if you want to get all tech. You are a new customer when you upgrade to gen 5. Because you start a new contract for 2 years."

The contract would be new, but the customer would not be. 

@shadowwalker.20 wrote:

Well if you want to get all tech. You are a new customer when you upgrade to gen 5. Because you start a new contract for 2 years.

That is exactly what I was thinking too, your just rolling your plan over to the New Gen5 Equipment $349.00 and Data plan of your choice, with a new 2 year contract. and upgrading your, well in my case brand new Gen4 with Wifi  in Jan 23 2017..  I was thinking about going to the 50 Gig plan and the New Gen5..

Their current Gen 4 customers not only get NO deal, they may be told they can only upgrade to the 20GB plan.

However, if you simply go to the Gen 5 website and order Gen 5 you can get the 30 GB or 50 GB plans.

But then, after the installation is complete you will have to go through the pain of trying to cancel your Gen 4 account.

When you call to cancel your Gen 4 account / service, they stall you.  

They will say you will lose your email address (or addresses if you have several) until the addresses are moved to your Gen 5 account ... which is misinformation or simply a lie. They may say your email addresses are in your old modem and must be transferred to the new modem.  If that were true, the addresses would have somehow been transferred to the new modem by the Gen 5 installer.when he disconnected your Gen 4 modem and installed the Gen 5 modem through which you are already sending and receiving email.    

They will say it will take several days to move the addresses... another misinformation or lie.

They may even say you do not have Gen 5 and must upgrade (to the 20 GB plan) and may send you another HT2000W modem.

No one will explain why you can order any one of the Gen 5 plans online but can only upgrade to 20 GB. 

Their current Gen 4 customers not only get NO deal, they may be told they can only upgrade to the 20GB plan.

However, if you simply go to the Gen 5 website and order Gen 5 you can get the 30 GB or 50 GB plans.

But then, after the installation is complete you will have to go through the pain of trying to cancel your Gen 4 account.

When you call to cancel your Gen 4 account / service, they stall you.  

They will say you will lose your email address (or addresses if you have several) until the addresses are moved to your Gen 5 account ... which is misinformation or simply a lie. They may say your email addresses are in your old modem and must be transferred to the new modem.  If that were true, the addresses would have somehow been transferred to the new modem by the Gen 5 installer.when he disconnected your Gen 4 modem and installed the Gen 5 modem through which you are already sending and receiving email.    

They will say it will take several days to move the addresses... another misinformation or lie.

They may even say you do not have Gen 5 and must upgrade (to the 20 GB plan) and may send you another HT2000W modem.

No one will explain why you can order any one of the Gen 5 plans online but can only upgrade to 20 GB. 

There are some inaccuracies I'd like to clarify here.

Until recently (January or so) the availability of certain Gen 5 plans varied based on one's geographic location. Currently, all our Gen 5 plans are available everywhere in the continental US.

Normally, when a Gen 4 customer upgrades to Gen 5, they keep their SAN; there's no need to cancel before/after upgrade.

In additional to keeping your SAN during the upgrade, you keep your e-mail addresses, as they are linked to your SAN, not your modem. (People don't change e-mail addresses everytime we have to replace a modem!) In rare, unusual situations, like what happened in your case, a new SAN was provided with the upgrade. In those situations, yes, we will ensure your e-mail is linked to your current SAN and that your old SAN is canceled. That process can depend on many factors, so the speed at which the migration will complete can vary.

As a courtesy, we inform those who are still on Gen 4 of the option to upgrade to Gen 5 with enhanced features (more data, faster speeds, more efficient equipment, more features). Ultimately, it's the customer's choice whether to upgrade or not.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It will depend... If you have an HN9000 right now, yes you will need a new install to get Jupiter 2 service.  If you are already on Jupiter One with an HT1000 or HT1100, all you will need is a new modem unless Hughes decides to put you onto Jupiter Two for some reason.

I have the ht1100 modem. I  see that they have a plan that is 20 mbs which is double the amount i have now. It shows it is cheaper for the first 12 months. and then it goes up to about what i pay now. I would like to have faster internet also.

Are you currently leasing your equipment?  I seen the lease fee for Gen 5 equipment it going up to $14.99.  The modem includes a Wi-Fi router I assume that's why they are changing an additional $5.  

I currently own my equipment, but I imagine to upgrade I would have to pay the equipment charge again, or go with the LEASE option? 

shadowwalker.20
Sophomore

Mods can disregard. I called and they will be installing on the 29th. Had the offer of free activation and install. Or $20 off per month for 12 months

I am currently GEN 4. Will the only hardware change upgrading to GEN 5 be the new modem/wireless-router? Same dish & radio receiver?

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The dish and radio are reused from Gen4 to Gen5... If you are placed on Jupiter II they will repoint the Gen4 dish to Jupiter II instead of Jupiter 1