Advice for Dummies

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jenjen
Freshman

Advice for Dummies

Just got HT2000W Modem installed & computer & printer is hooked up wireless. Computer is very slow & i would like to know what I need to do to make it faster? I’ve been told several different things like hook modem to computer via Ethernet or get a router, so I’m really confused & could use some help! Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I see no need for another router if it's all co-located. Some other tips:

1. It helps to have an ethernet cable just in case you lose wifi and need a quick way to get to the modem for any reason. If the modem and computer are co-located as you say, I'd recommend using an ethernet cable over wifi, because it's just basically simpler and you get max bandwidth out of it, no matter what.

2. 5GHz vs. 2.4GHz wifi: If you are located in the same room as the modem and must use wifi, it's best to use the 5GHz wifi channel if possible. It's generally faster than the 2.4GHz channel. However, it's possible your computer doesn't support 5GHz so I'll give you the best settings for both.

3. 5GHz wifi settings: Check to see if your computer supports 802.11ac over 802.11n or 802.11g.
If it's able to do so, this should allow you to expand the bandwidth of a single wifi channel from 20 to up to 80MHz, which also makes it faster. Then you can check how the modem is set by going to it's Advanced Setup/Wireless page (you may have to log in using the router password). The settings you want are under 5Ghz, where it should be:
   Wireless Mode: 11a/n/ac

Bandwidth: 20/40/80MHz
Leave "Channel" alone and "Extension Channel" should get filled in by itself.
Click "Save Settings" if you've changed anything and the modem should restart with those settings.

4. 2.4GHz wifi settings: Not as good, but if youre limited only to 2GHz (the section just above 5GHz), the settings for that should be similarly:

Wireless Mode: 11b/g/n

Bandwidth: 20/40MHz
Click "Save Settings" if you've changed anything and the modem should restart with those settings.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
MarkJFine
Professor

Depends upon what you mean by slow:

1. If it's just slow to react on web sites, that's because of the relatively long time it takes for responses to occur on satellite internet. It takes roughly half a second for a command to go to the internet and back because of the distance between you, the satellite, and the ground station that actually 'talks' to the internet. There's nothing you can do about this.
2. If it's download speed, you can check that by doing a 25MB speed check on TestMy. If there is a speed issue here, there are several things you can do, to include router/computer settings, as well as decreasing the location of your computer to the modem, and possibly using an ethernet cable (as you've mentioned).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for info I will try this now. It is definitely computer download speeds. Technician noticed we had a expensive weBoost installed in bedroom & said that would help but it has not. He installed modem in bedroom & satellite dish is outside bedroom window & computer is in bedroom! We do not have a phone line so would a router even help our situation?

I see no need for another router if it's all co-located. Some other tips:

1. It helps to have an ethernet cable just in case you lose wifi and need a quick way to get to the modem for any reason. If the modem and computer are co-located as you say, I'd recommend using an ethernet cable over wifi, because it's just basically simpler and you get max bandwidth out of it, no matter what.

2. 5GHz vs. 2.4GHz wifi: If you are located in the same room as the modem and must use wifi, it's best to use the 5GHz wifi channel if possible. It's generally faster than the 2.4GHz channel. However, it's possible your computer doesn't support 5GHz so I'll give you the best settings for both.

3. 5GHz wifi settings: Check to see if your computer supports 802.11ac over 802.11n or 802.11g.
If it's able to do so, this should allow you to expand the bandwidth of a single wifi channel from 20 to up to 80MHz, which also makes it faster. Then you can check how the modem is set by going to it's Advanced Setup/Wireless page (you may have to log in using the router password). The settings you want are under 5Ghz, where it should be:
   Wireless Mode: 11a/n/ac

Bandwidth: 20/40/80MHz

4. 2.4GHz wifi settings: Not as good, but if youre limited only to 2GHz (the section just above 5GHz), the settings for that should be similarly:

Wireless Mode: 11b/g/n

Bandwidth: 20/40MHz

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@MarkJFine wrote:

It takes roughly half a minute for a command to go to the internet and back because of the distance between you, the satellite, and the ground station that actually 'talks' to the internet. 

That's one crazy latency!!!!  😛  

Yeah, I just changed minute to second. Must have been a time dilation field used to contain the Replicators...