Connectivity problems

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ihinesm
New Poster

Connectivity problems

According to your WiFi test my connection is excellent but my phone and tablet are constantly scanning for the wifi and not loading pages. Right now the new Belkin db-600 router has an amber light. I just spent 2 hours trying to troubleshoot. At one point the router powered down on its own. I got it back up but no improvement.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The Modem is hardwired to 192.168.0.1

This address can not be shared by any other device or issues will occur.

The LAN IP of the Router is suggested to be at 192.168.1.1

That separation will allow proper operation.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

What Hughes Modem are you using?

What LAN IP address do you have the Belkin set to?

Do you have DHCP enabled in the Belkin?

Try reseating the LAN cable between the Modem and the Router on both ends.

Try another Ethernet cable.

Hi. Just to save time, I am familiar with all the common fixes and have done them all. Hughes modem is maybe 6 months old and I bought a new router to see if it helped. I can't even post here due to time-outs but my WiFi connection is "excellent"?. Scanning is going on non-stop. My smartphone and tablet work fine on other networks.

Correction...the Hughes modem turned off on its own...not the router.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

My questions were meant as a sort of checklist.

A IP address conflict between the Modems hardwired address of 192.168.0.1 and the Router's LAN IP being set to the same will cause issues.

Knowing if DHCP is enabled in the Router tells us who, the Modem or the Router, is to hand out IP addresses to clients.

If the Modem is restarting:

Be sure the DIN connector on the back of the modem is fully seated and that coax cables are tight.

Be sure to allow at least 6" of clearance around the modem to allow proper air flow.

What error codes are listed when you open the Modems SCC at 192.168.0.1?

ht1100 modem

DHCP is enabled

system control center tests are run, no problems, no error messages

I have reseated the network cable, rebooted both

network cable came with the router and so its basically new and I tried swapping already.

I purchased the router about a month ago since the netgear was several years old

The netgear router worked fine for about 2 months after starting Hughesnet and then connectivity issues began so I bought a new router which seemed to solve the problem for a while I had one service call which didn't help anything since the problem was sporadic

The belkin router was working fine and then a few weeks ago my phone battery was being used up and I discovered it was constantly scannning the wifi every 4 seconds. This issue only occurs at my house as both my tablet and phone are fine anywhere else. In the middle of typing this message the connection was lost and then regained in a couple of minutes.

Either the scanning is causing me to lose connectivity or I'm loosing connectivity first and then the scanning starts.  Thanks for any assistance you can give me. I'm honestly ready to just pay the disconnect penalty as I can say it only works 50% of the time.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The Modem is hardwired to 192.168.0.1

This address can not be shared by any other device or issues will occur.

The LAN IP of the Router is suggested to be at 192.168.1.1

That separation will allow proper operation.

Hi. The ip address of the router is 192.168.2.1
The other devices are different

I have kept my husband off the WiFi and on the data plan due to the problem with connectivity as he is not tech savvy. I just turned his WiFi on and he has the same problem with it constantly scanning too.