Hughesnet Community

Gen 5 install tomorrow. Tips for a first time customer?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Savage
Freshman

Gen 5 install tomorrow. Tips for a first time customer?

I'm a first time Hughes net customer. We dont have any other internet options and I have resisted for a long time but with the Gen 5 release and bigtime speed increase we bit the bullet and ordered it. They should be coming to install tomorrow. Any tips for a first timer? Is there a way to tell what beam I am connected to? I've been researching the beams some trying to find one that's best for my house.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Beam assignments are set in stone for each location, can't be changed or picked from.

As far as tips go, before you sign off on the tablet or phone the installer hands you when the install has completed, make sure a computer is connected and browse the internet a little bit to make sure it's working as intended.

If you elected to do a pole mount install, make sure the installer puts a bolt, or something else on the end of the pole to prevent it from turning in the concrete, and that the installer uses enough concrete to support the pole.

Also be aware you are in a 2 year contract, and have a monthly data allowance, your first 20 days the service will reset multiple times per day so that your devices can grab updates as needed...

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Beam assignments are set in stone for each location, can't be changed or picked from.

As far as tips go, before you sign off on the tablet or phone the installer hands you when the install has completed, make sure a computer is connected and browse the internet a little bit to make sure it's working as intended.

If you elected to do a pole mount install, make sure the installer puts a bolt, or something else on the end of the pole to prevent it from turning in the concrete, and that the installer uses enough concrete to support the pole.

Also be aware you are in a 2 year contract, and have a monthly data allowance, your first 20 days the service will reset multiple times per day so that your devices can grab updates as needed...

Savage
Freshman

Thanks for your reply c0rr0sive! It's good to know that the beams are set in stone and they have one that is almost centered on our area so we should get great signal. If we do a pole install I was hoping to use an antenna pole we already have mounted to the house that actually goes up about 8 feet from the top of the roof so I don't have to wait for the concrete to set before they can mount the satellite, and it would also help get away from any interference with the trees in the area.
but if they do have to put a pole in I will make sure that they put something on it to keep from turning. I don't mind a house mount install as long as it gets good signal and clears the pine trees WR have DIRECTV and Haven't had any interference from them so far.
We don't have a laptop but have multiple tablets and phones that will be connected for browsing so I can use that to check how things are working. As far as signal strength is concerned what is the acceptable range for signal strength? I have seen various reports around the web so I'm not really sure.
I am Def aware of the 2 year contract. Not thrilled about it but we don't have any other internet options and i don't see that changing any time soon so as long as Gen 5 lives up to how it's advertised I don't think we will need to cancel. We got the 50 gig plan and I plan to set my devices to update during the unlimited data period from 2-8am and during the first 20 days of unlimited so we shouldn't have to worry about hitting the cap. I'm excited to finally have internet again because it's been 2.5 years without it! How are you enjoying gen 5 so far over gen 4? The speed increase advertised is what really got me to decide to make the jump I'm hoping that indont regret It!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Probably not wise to have the dish THAT high in the air... They do catch a lot of wind, as it's bigger than a typical satellite tv dish.

So far, for the most part, I am enjoying the Gen5 service, but, I don't use the wifi on the modem unless I am testing stuff, so I can't really comment on that aspect of the service.

As far as signal goes... IMO, as long as the system passes OVT then it's good, but on a good clear day at both your location, and the gateway location, you should see 100+ on the signal. I have been dropping down to 95 on some days though.

Well things aren't getting off to a good start and I'm not very happy. I was scheduled for the 8-11 time slot this morning with Vision Quest Communucations.. they just called to reschedule my appointment because they are just getting to the office (over an hour after their offices are supposed to open.)and their technician has already left for the day to do his installs and he didn't know about my appointment because they were closed yesterday and came in late today. Idk how the tech wasn't notified of the install
When I have received multiple text messages confirming my install appointment. It's understandable that they were closed on Easter but I have already taken off work for today to get this install and now I have to take off work tomorrow as well so in my eyes this is no longer a free install because it's cost me 2 days of work. I am not very happy right now. Mods is there anything you can do by calling the company?

Hi Savage,

I work with the installation team here at HughesNet.  I'm very sorry to hear we missed your appointment and I understand your frustration.  I will review your order with the local dealer, Vision Quest Communications, so that they understand their mistake and avoid a similar mishap in the future.  Thank you for reporting.  It looks like your install is now scheduled for tomorrow morning.  Please let me know how it goes and if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep you updated!

My install is done and everything went great! My speeds are INSANE compared to what I was expecting and I hope it stays that way! Right now I'm getting DOUBLE the advertised speeds!

image.jpg

That's awesome! Thank you for getting back to us on your successful install and fast performance! Please don't hesitate to drop by the community again if you need any other assistance.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Savage wrote:
Thanks for your reply c0rr0sive! It's good to know that the beams are set in stone and they have one that is almost centered on our area so we should get great signal. 

Where is it that you are seeing information on Gen5 beams?  

I searched Jupiter 2 satellite beam map and this came up:
https://www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2556
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Savage wrote:
I searched Jupiter 2 satellite beam map and this came up:
https://www.satbeams.com/satellites?id=2556

Savage, those beam locations are incorrect.  Those are based on the ES17 satellite, which has markedly different beam locations than the ES19, both in location and numbering.  

Hopefully they will have the correct beam locations fot the ES19 soon, but I imagine it will be a little while before that happens.  

Edit:  I didn't see it until afterward, but I'm very glad that your installation went well.  And I agree, the speeds are fantastic.