GEN-5 Video Data Saver -Specific Apps

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danger
Freshman

GEN-5 Video Data Saver -Specific Apps

I'm new to HN and Gen 5 and wondered if anyone knew any specifics behind the Data Saver feature.  I called customer service last night, and they tried their best but had no additional information than what is on the website.  Two specific questions- will the Data Saver downgrade the video to 480p for (1) DirecTV On Demand and (2) PS3 Apps, such as Amazon, Vudu, Netflix.  Many thanks if anyone knows- I can try and see for myself but I'm in that frequent reset period right now, so it's a fog on how much data I'm using for these.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Danger

With regard to DirecTV On Demand, no, the data saver will not reduce the definition with such.  

But, keep in mind that you have absolutely NO WAY of controlling the data usage by your DirecTV receiver, and connecting your DirecTV receiver to your Hughesnet service is normally advised against.  Their receivers use data for more than just on demand when connected.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

The video data saver will not work with DirecTV On Demand, as that is not a stream and the unit usually wants the highest quality file possible, but an actual download of a movie file.  As far as Amazon, Vudu, Netflix, Hulu and so on on a PS3, SmartTV, or in your web-browser, those should be automatically downgraded when the Video Data Saver is enabled and work just fine.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Danger

With regard to DirecTV On Demand, no, the data saver will not reduce the definition with such.  

But, keep in mind that you have absolutely NO WAY of controlling the data usage by your DirecTV receiver, and connecting your DirecTV receiver to your Hughesnet service is normally advised against.  Their receivers use data for more than just on demand when connected.

Thanks, appreciate the quick reply.  I have read that about DirecTV using a lot of data behind the scenes.  I'm guessing I don't really use the internet connection for anything any way, so probably smart to disconnect unless I needed it for something specifically.