Hosting Virtual Tabletop

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hehaub
Freshman

Hosting Virtual Tabletop

I host a weekly virtual tabletop game using Fantasy Grounds software, and I am trying to see if it will work with Hughesnet.

Basically it is an app that is run on a windows 10 machine. Others(usually 3) across the interent connect to the app on a specific port. From what I have read so far, this is not possible with hughesnet service, but I wanted to get some feedback on if I am right in my thinking.

Any feedback is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello hehaub, thank you for posting on the community. Getting a static IP on a business account is an optional service for an additional $9.99 per month on top of the service plan. Please keep in mind that business plans work differently than residential accounts. With your residential account, you get your service plan data of 10, 20, 30, or 50 GB (8am-2am) and a bonus zone data of 50GB (2am-8am). As an example, for the business account I will use the lowest service plan, the price starts at $69.99 you get Anytime Data at 10GB, and you get Daytime data at 25GB (8am-6pm) for a total of 35GB. Any installation charges would have to be discussed at the time of order with a sales representative.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Hrm, as far as will it work... Yes, and no, depending on a few variables.

If you are wanting to be the GM, (host) then it will depend partially on how well the software handles 600-1200ms latency, as well as your service type.  Residential users all sit behind a shared IP, thus, port-forwarding isn't possible.  To be able to host, and port forward, you *must* be an SME (business) customer with port forwarding purchased at the time of sign up.

If another player in your group is able to be GM, or you don't mind never being a GM, then the game *should* work just fine as you would be connecting out to the host instead of being the host.  However, as stated earlier, this depends on how well the game handles latency.

Corrosive - 

The application should be fine in the sense that a delay of that magnitude is no problem with gameplay.

I am not a business, and I am a new residential customer. Can I switch to a plan that would allow me to host the game? It sounds like

you are saying that it is not possible to upgrade after signup, so I just wanted to clarify that point.

or do other restrictions apply?

Thanks for the feedback

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

To be able to host, and port forward, you *must* be an SME (business) customer with port forwarding purchased at the time of sign up.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

As far as I know... Residential users can not easily switch to a business plan and get Static IP addressing... Hughesnet doesn't recomend residential users to use business plans due to costs.

The only ones I could see on the site for business look reasonable and comparable with residential.

Unless there is some underlying cost not specified on the website. 

Do you know if those costs are on the site somewhere for comparing?

Hello hehaub, thank you for posting on the community. Getting a static IP on a business account is an optional service for an additional $9.99 per month on top of the service plan. Please keep in mind that business plans work differently than residential accounts. With your residential account, you get your service plan data of 10, 20, 30, or 50 GB (8am-2am) and a bonus zone data of 50GB (2am-8am). As an example, for the business account I will use the lowest service plan, the price starts at $69.99 you get Anytime Data at 10GB, and you get Daytime data at 25GB (8am-6pm) for a total of 35GB. Any installation charges would have to be discussed at the time of order with a sales representative.

I did look into a business plan and it was going to be double the cost monthly to get what I needed. Also, I found out that to switch to business requires a totally different modem and dish to the tune of about $600. So, that was also a factor since I already have the residential version. I searched for some alternatives and eventually settled on a Microsoft Azure. I just finished setup today and it appears to be a good alternative to local hosting. (FYI: They are currently offering 30day free with $200 in credit spending to try out the service.) .

Thanks for all the advice and helping me understand what I needed from you. I learned several new things about satellite Internet that I likely should have researched first. But, as you were my last hope for Internet it did not matter much. 😉