Hughesnet Community

How do I set a parental control on my wifi and data for an example at 11pm can I block my kids

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gridleyd1983
New Poster

How do I set a parental control on my wifi and data for an example at 11pm can I block my kids

I need to a way to block my girls from using data after bedtime without unplugging it so me and my wife can still use it
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gridleyd1983 

I'm not on my HughesNet right now so I can't look in my modem, but you can access the Parental Controls by going to http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage and clicking on WiFi Settings on the left.  You can then use admin as the Password to enter your WiFi settings.  Then click on Advanced Setup on the left, then Firewall Settings.  Make sure Firewall Features is checked.  It should be by default, but if it's not, check it and click Save Settings.  Then click on Parental Controls.  Again, I'm not on my HughesNet right now so I can't do a walk through of this, but if you click on Add Rule it should give you a bunch of different options.  After setting up your options you can click on Save Settings to save them.  Then give it a try to see if it's working as it should, as in blocking the access you want blocked. To be honest, though, I can't remember if there's a time option for an individual device, but hopefully there is.

Tomorrow someone with more knowledge may reply with more thorough instructions.  

Hope this helps.  🙂

View solution in original post

Liz

Good morning gridleyd1983,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! To add onto what Gabe said, here's the manual for the HT2000w with more details about the advanced wifi settings.

You can find the part about the parental controls on page 31:

http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041264-0001_a.pdf

While there isn't an option for timed access, perhaps you can limit the kids' access to a guest network and then disable it when it's bedtime.

Hope that helps!

Edit: That is a good idea to have timing settings in the parental controls so you don't have to do it manually, I'll submit this as a suggestion to management. Thank you for bringing this up!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@gridleyd1983 

I'm not on my HughesNet right now so I can't look in my modem, but you can access the Parental Controls by going to http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage and clicking on WiFi Settings on the left.  You can then use admin as the Password to enter your WiFi settings.  Then click on Advanced Setup on the left, then Firewall Settings.  Make sure Firewall Features is checked.  It should be by default, but if it's not, check it and click Save Settings.  Then click on Parental Controls.  Again, I'm not on my HughesNet right now so I can't do a walk through of this, but if you click on Add Rule it should give you a bunch of different options.  After setting up your options you can click on Save Settings to save them.  Then give it a try to see if it's working as it should, as in blocking the access you want blocked. To be honest, though, I can't remember if there's a time option for an individual device, but hopefully there is.

Tomorrow someone with more knowledge may reply with more thorough instructions.  

Hope this helps.  🙂

Liz

Good morning gridleyd1983,

I see it's your first post here, so welcome to the community! To add onto what Gabe said, here's the manual for the HT2000w with more details about the advanced wifi settings.

You can find the part about the parental controls on page 31:

http://support.hughesnet.com/sites/support.hughesnet.com/files/inline-files/1041264-0001_a.pdf

While there isn't an option for timed access, perhaps you can limit the kids' access to a guest network and then disable it when it's bedtime.

Hope that helps!

Edit: That is a good idea to have timing settings in the parental controls so you don't have to do it manually, I'll submit this as a suggestion to management. Thank you for bringing this up!

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!