Hughesnet Community

Live streaming on Twitch keeps buffering due to huge ping (743)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Celticdragon56
New Poster

Live streaming on Twitch keeps buffering due to huge ping (743)

When I signed up for Hughesnet, I was assured this wouldn't be a problem. Now I find out that it is a problem the tech I spoke to claims cannot be fixed. My son's job depends on being able to clip from live streams; I need a solution. Will a wifi booster help?? Will upgrading to 50G help?? Or do I start arbitration to get out of the two year contract after learning this internet service won't do what I was assured it would do? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Celticdragon56 

Upgrading to the 50GB plan would only help if the cause is that you've run out of plan data and your speed is throttled as a result.  A WiFi Booster would only help if the problem is being caused by a weak WiFi signal at the location of the device being used for Twitch.

Unfortunately, the latency with geostationary satellite internet will always be at least 600ms or so.  743ms is a little high, but not so high as to suggest a problem, as latency can vary depending on the server being contacted and the infrastructure along the route.  

If the latency is for sure the cause and you were assured during your sales call that Twitch would work without issue, and it's been no more than three or four months since that sales call, I would ask for a sales call review regarding what you were told and what you're actually experiencing.  If the sales rep did not set appropriate expectation during that call, you may have recourse.  To ask for a sales call review, it would be best to start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" requesting such.  Make sure to explain the discrepancy regarding what you were told so that the rep who performs the review knows what they should be listening for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
GabeU

@Celticdragon56 

Upgrading to the 50GB plan would only help if the cause is that you've run out of plan data and your speed is throttled as a result.  A WiFi Booster would only help if the problem is being caused by a weak WiFi signal at the location of the device being used for Twitch.

Unfortunately, the latency with geostationary satellite internet will always be at least 600ms or so.  743ms is a little high, but not so high as to suggest a problem, as latency can vary depending on the server being contacted and the infrastructure along the route.  

If the latency is for sure the cause and you were assured during your sales call that Twitch would work without issue, and it's been no more than three or four months since that sales call, I would ask for a sales call review regarding what you were told and what you're actually experiencing.  If the sales rep did not set appropriate expectation during that call, you may have recourse.  To ask for a sales call review, it would be best to start a new topic in the "myAccount and Billing" requesting such.  Make sure to explain the discrepancy regarding what you were told so that the rep who performs the review knows what they should be listening for.

Thank you! I will request the review. 

GabeU

@Celticdragon56 

You're welcome.  🙂

Good morning Celticdragon56,

Thanks for reaching out. Looking at your account, I see this was a self web order, so there wouldn't be a call to review. In any case, I see you've called in a few days after posting to cancel. The lease return kit has shipped out yesterday, so please expect that within 10 business days. Here's our illustrated guide to returning your equipment for your convenience.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!