Man in the Middle warning from my Norton 360 on my Hughes Net

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Steveshphrd
New Poster

Man in the Middle warning from my Norton 360 on my Hughes Net

Ever since I installed the Norton 360 Anti Virus, I have gotten the message:  Your network is compromised by the Man in the Middle threat.  I have checked my Network with my other Anti Virus tools and nothing is found with them.  Has anyone else had this issue with Hughes Net and the Norton 360 they offer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's likely seeing something in the modem's firmware that's giving it pause.  Yours isn't the first time someone using Norton has seen this.  Because you're behind a double-NAT network, and because HughesNet uses shared, dynamically changing IP addresses, the chances of someone hacking into your network via the internet are practically nil.  

About the only thing I would suggest is scanning your system, but you're already one step ahead of that.  Still, if you don't already have it, I'd download the free version of Malwarebytes and run a scan with that just to ensure your system is free of malware/spyware.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU

It's likely seeing something in the modem's firmware that's giving it pause.  Yours isn't the first time someone using Norton has seen this.  Because you're behind a double-NAT network, and because HughesNet uses shared, dynamically changing IP addresses, the chances of someone hacking into your network via the internet are practically nil.  

About the only thing I would suggest is scanning your system, but you're already one step ahead of that.  Still, if you don't already have it, I'd download the free version of Malwarebytes and run a scan with that just to ensure your system is free of malware/spyware.

tw1

According to HughesNet IT - VPN is not compatible with the HughesNet Satellite. I get the same message from Norton.

In the HN app I did the wifi to phone test and it would not work. Turn VPN off on my phone, still didn't work. Turned VPN off in Norton, ran the test again it worked. It's clear to me that they are not compatible like IT said. Now i get the Norton Man in the Middle warning from Norton.

Will post more about what to do with Norton Man in the Middle.    

maratsade

@tw1 wrote:

According to HughesNet IT - VPN is not compatible with the HughesNet Satellite.  

That's not accurate. See this HughesNet support article, which states that "VPNs can work with HughesNet."

The OP didn't state using a VPN, either, so the message may not be related to that.