Modem stops working when room temp below 50 degrees F

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CaptainJ
New Poster

Modem stops working when room temp below 50 degrees F

Twice now our modem stops working when our room temp goes below 50 degrees F.  This last time we weren't at home for a little over two weeks and the modem was down the whole time prior to that it was off for over a week. It only stayed on when we got the temps back up and rebooted. I have tried and tried to convey this technical issue and establish a case that the modem is faulty but all customer service says is it is working now there is nothing we can do. I have called several times and explained the frequency and long duration of the issue but it seems they don't take notes and have to repeat the details of the issue (five times today). Then with the intermittent service calls get dropped and no one calls back even though the tech promise to call back. Both my husband and I are engineers, we believe the modem should be replaced but feel ignored by Hughes. Why is it so difficult to talk to someone about this?

4 REPLIES 4
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Your best bet is to wait until one of the HughesNet reps on this site addresses your situation next week. They're at the corporate level (different from the phone reps) and have more discretion to come up with different solutions.   They're here M-F during business hours.  

If they need information from you they will ask you to send them a PM, for privacy reasons. 

I hope this gets resolved speedily for you. 

Thank you. I spent over 3 hours today only to be told that our modem seems to be working now so there is nothing they can do to help. They are ignoring the fact that I called in last month and last week and they documented the modem wasn't responding. They kept saying it is weather related. Guess if you live in the north don't get Hughes Net.  It is very frustrating to be in a do loop of their script.  

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

It's possible they they can't/aren't allowed to do anything if they ping the modem and it shows everything's in order. But it'd be nice if there were good notes so they could see there's been issues. 

The mods here will be able to do more for you; they may just send you a new modem to see if that solves the issue.  The wait stinks, though. 

I take it that when you're home the modem works because the heating's on? 

Correct, when we are in the house and heat is on and above 50 degrees is works.  You are spot on that since the modem was working in that moment of the phone call that they didn't want to act on the previous two long term outages of the modem.  I finally got to a supervisor in advanced tech that offered to send out a replacement. I will be sure to post if that resolves the issue.