More Slow 5 Gen download speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daryl
Freshman

More Slow 5 Gen download speeds

My upload speeds are consistently higher than download speeds. Download speeds are consistently less than 2mbs. Its got to be better than this. Hughes tech support has been useless to this point. I read a post about satellite connection and Beam ID, here's my connection. Can anybody help?

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NAD
Gateway ID4
Beam ID96
Outroute ID1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Daryl

Can you post a few speed test results?  Normally, it's asked that people perform tests at testmy.net, but recently it's been having difficulties, so the reps are open to tests from other sites, like Hughes' own speed test and Speedtest.net, and others.  In addition to the aforementioned testmy.net, I would stay away from fast.com, as its speed test results can be affected by the Video Data Saver, as well as the test using a lot of data when the Video Data Saver is turned off.  

When you run your speed tests, if you have the abilitiy it would be best to run them with a device that is directly connected to the HughesNet modem with LAN cable rather than via WiFi.  It would also be best to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W modem while running the speed tests so that nothing else is sapping any bandwidth at the same time.  If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see section 6 of the following PDF...    http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Documents/1041318-0001_a.pdf

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
GabeU

Thanks Daryl. I'm escalating to see if engineering can see if there's anything going on in particular with your site. Otherwise we'll have to just troubleshoot on one device and various websites. We'll post back once there's news to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

https://testmy.net/db/XkHbpJgc5

Here's another set of speed tests. I guess they look pretty good. But we've tried to stream a one hour show Friday night and it played great for the first 30 minutes, then it started buffering every minute and after 10 minutes it just quit and never would start again. I even had the data saver turned off. 

Also I had some trouble getting the speed test to run, twice when I started it I got error messages that said connection lost. Maybe thats what was going on Friday night when I was streaming a show. Maybe I'm just having some sort of connection interruptions. By the way, all the storms had passed through earlier Friday, so I don't think it was that. And this morning is a bright sunny day.

This is normal operation from HughesNet.  It is so slow and then they start making you do tricks with YOUR equipment like it is your fault that you have slow internet.  Buffering is normal for Hughesnet.  I am telling everyone I know that Hughes.Net is SLOW.  Maybe they won't sign the contract.

GabeU

@Daryl

Though I'm sure Liz will be able to tell for sure, weather at your gateway can affect your service in the same way as weather at your own location.  I don't know where your gateway is, but over the last couple of days there has been some pretty nasty weather in both the Northwest and Southwest to South, which is where a lot of the gateways are located.  Again, I don't know that this is what caused your connection issue, but it's possible.  Again, though, either way, Liz is working with engineering to find out if there is something going on with your site.  🙂  

Good morning Daryl,

Thank you for your patience while we investigate. I've pinged the engineers for an update regarding your concerns. I wanted to see if this planned upgrade for your gateway would help. How are your speeds lately?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning Daryl,

Engineering completed an update on your gateway two nights ago. Please monitor your system performance and let us know how it goes. 

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks for the update Liz. I actually got a call from an engineer tonight and he ran some diagnostics and he thinks I have a bad radio. They're sending a tech out this week.
Daryl

Good morning Daryl, 

Thank you for your update. Looking forward to hearing how the site visit goes.

Hi Liz,
Tech came today, I lost 2 hours of work for him to come in and run speed tests for an hour and then tell me everything is working fine.
So I just tried to watch a show with my firestick, it played about 5 minutes and quit.....
I don't know how much longer I can remain patient.
Daryl

Good morning Daryl,

Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

Hi Daryl,

I ran new diagnostics on your site and I'm not seeing anything lately that would cause concern. I'm currently discussing your case with engineering. To recap, you're experiencing buffering videos via Amazon Firestick, regardless of the VDS status, and all webpages load slowly, is that correct?

Liz,
That is correct. I think it was better before the beam change, I did experience buffering on the firestick, but not to the point where it would lose the connection.

Good morning Daryl,

Thank you for the confirmation and the additional bit of info, I've relayed this to engineering. I'll post back once I have any updates to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks for the update Liz.

Good morning Daryl,

Engineering got back to me and said they're planning on a capacity expansion on your beam. No mention of when, but the engineer will update me after the expansion is complete. I'll keep you informed.

I'm not getting what I'm paying for. Speed test results: D/L .92mbps Upload is 3.20 mbps

GabeU

@CowBoy

Because your speed issues may be caused by something different than the OP's, it would be best for you to start a new topic, which you can do here...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport