My computer is not seeing the wifi from Hug2 or 5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hmccaulla
Freshman

My computer is not seeing the wifi from Hug2 or 5

I have a HP PavilionP6530F, Wireless Lan 802.11b/g/n windows 10 version 1903 computer that is not identifying the Wifi **bleep** up the wifi signal but this computer. And of course, this is my main computer. Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@hmccaulla  

A new WiFi card can be installed in a desktop computer fairly easily, as it goes in a PCI Express slot, but if the signal from the modem/router isn't good enough at the computer's location, a new WiFi card probably wouldn't help.  The WiFi cards themselves aren't all that expensive.  

I would first check your WiFi signal strength at the location of the deskop.  You can use the HughesNet Mobile app, which works on your phone, and which has a "WiFi Gauge", or any other mobile app that you like that can test WiFi signal strength.  It's possible that it's a range issue, and a new WiFi card may not actually do the trick if this is the case.  

If it is a range issue, HughesNet does have a WiFi Booster that works with the HT2000W modem, or you can even use a 3rd party WiFi router that gives better WiFi range than the HT2000W's. 

Sometimes the makeup of a house can affect a signal where you wouldn't normally think it would, so it would definitely be a good idea to test that WiFi signal strength at the location of your desktop.

Edit:  Sorry, I should have given the link to the HughesNet Mobile App.  Android and Apple.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU

@Liz 

Another example of abritrary bleeping...

Capture.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@hmccaulla 

Because the system messed up and bleeped part of your post (it's a known issue they're working on), it's a little hard to decipher what's wrong.  Is the problem that it won't connect via the 5Ghz radio, or no WiFi at all?  If it's the 5Ghz WiFi, it may be that your particular network card doesn't support it, as some b/g/n cards can't connect to the 5Ghz band.  If it's WiFi in general, please let us know.  

I hope this reply posts without issue.  But, just in case it bleeps some of it, I've taken a snapshot of what I wrong so that I can subsequently edit the post and include the picture.

As indicated in the subject line, the computer is not identiying the wifi signal at all from the hughes router. It shows no signal other than my existing company. I did disconnect the current connection and tried to see if my computer would pick it up and nothing. 

Herb

GabeU

@hmccaulla 

You may need to have your computer forget your previous WiFi network(s) in order to see the new one.  Though the following is from a specific router manufacturer, the instructions for forgetting previous networks is still accurate. 

https://kb.netgear.com/29889/How-to-delete-a-wireless-network-profile-in-Windows-10

Do you have any other device with which you can check to see if the radios are broadcasting?  If you do, and they are, please let us know, as there may be something going on with the computer itself.  If you don't, or you do, but they are not broadcasting for that device, either, please do the following. 

With a device that can be connected to the HughesNet modem via LAN cable, please ensure that the WiFi radios are enabled.  To do so, with that LAN cable connected device, go here and enter admin as the password.  Then, on the Home page, ensure that both SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast are checked **bleep**. 

Then click on Advanced Setup and Wireless.  On that page, ensure that both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz **bleep**, please check them, then click Save Settings.

Gabe,

Yes, I have an Ipad, phones and another computer than are receiving the signal. I think I have already tried forgeting the other wifi but I will try again.

Herb

GabeU

@hmccaulla wrote:

Gabe,

Yes, I have an Ipad, phones and another computer than are receiving the signal. I think I have already tried forgeting the other wifi but I will try again.

Herb

That's good.  That's helps us narrow it down to where the problem most likely lies, with that being the computer itself, or at least with some type of setting in the WiFi adapter.  

Though I'm sure you've already tried this, or the computer may already be right near it, it would be a good idea to move the computer closer to the HughesNet modem.  

Another thing I found, from a prior community post about a laptop not seeing the WiFi, is a suggestion to perform the steps in this Microsoft post.  Another suggestion to help narrow it down, if the computer has the ability, is to connect it via LAN cable.  If it works that way, it's then further narrowed down to WiFi adapter in the computer.  If it is, in fact, the WiFi adapter, there may be some things to try regarding its settings, but I'm not versed enough to give instructions for fiddling around with those settings. I'd probably cause more harm than good when it comes to that.  Others, however, may know what to try.  

Any suggestions to just replacing the wifi adapter. Moving the computer is not necessarily the best idea.

GabeU

@hmccaulla  

A new WiFi card can be installed in a desktop computer fairly easily, as it goes in a PCI Express slot, but if the signal from the modem/router isn't good enough at the computer's location, a new WiFi card probably wouldn't help.  The WiFi cards themselves aren't all that expensive.  

I would first check your WiFi signal strength at the location of the deskop.  You can use the HughesNet Mobile app, which works on your phone, and which has a "WiFi Gauge", or any other mobile app that you like that can test WiFi signal strength.  It's possible that it's a range issue, and a new WiFi card may not actually do the trick if this is the case.  

If it is a range issue, HughesNet does have a WiFi Booster that works with the HT2000W modem, or you can even use a 3rd party WiFi router that gives better WiFi range than the HT2000W's. 

Sometimes the makeup of a house can affect a signal where you wouldn't normally think it would, so it would definitely be a good idea to test that WiFi signal strength at the location of your desktop.

Edit:  Sorry, I should have given the link to the HughesNet Mobile App.  Android and Apple.

I bought a new wifi adapter and everything is now working. Thanks for the help and guidance.

GabeU

@hmccaulla wrote:

I bought a new wifi adapter and everything is now working. Thanks for the help and guidance.

You're very welcome.  I'm glad you're computer is now connecting the way it should.  🙂

GabeU

@Liz 

The bleeping again.  SMH.  It's getting hard to be able to help someone because of this.  

-------------------------------------------------------------

@hmccaulla 

Let me try this again, and I'll include a picture this time...

With a device that can be connected to the HughesNet modem via LAN cable, please ensure that the WiFi radios are enabled.  To do so, with that LAN cable connected device, go here and enter admin as the password.  Then, on the Home page, ensure that both SSID Enable and SSID Broadcast are checked for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios.  If they are not, please check both boxes for the 2.4Ghz radio, then click Save Settings.  Then do the same for the 5Ghz radio.  

Then click on Advanced Setup and Wireless.  On that page, ensure that both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz **bleep**.  If they aren't, please check them, then click Save Settings.  Then exit the page and try connecting with your WiFi computer again.  

Capture2.JPG

Liz

Hi Herb,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I'd troubleshoot the wifi adapter on that desktop, looking at your site now, I see there are other devices connected to both your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks.

2.4 GHz

DESKTOP-3US8PE9

5 GHz

Herberts-iPad

Galaxy-S70

kindle-0cc61587a

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!