Hughesnet Community

Opinions on the built in wifi for gen 5?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tyler936
Freshman

Opinions on the built in wifi for gen 5?

I just got gen5 today, and while the service itself is excellent, I'm a bit skeptical of the wifi. We have one of our desktops across the house that always worked by using a USB wifi adapter and never had any problems until we switched to the new modem. Now, every 10-15 minutes the wifi will drop for about 1 minute. I've tried all the power saving settings and made sure it had good signal. Is anyone else experiencing this? Also I havent noticed the problem on my phone, so this could just be a case of my adapter not liking the router, if that's possible.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

From the looks of things that wireless adapter only supports WPA and WPA2 with TKIP+AES and not WPA2-AES...

You may want to try changing the wifi settings on the HT2000w to see if it works better...

1: Visit http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com in your browser.
2: Click Wifi Settings.
3: Enter in the router password, by default it is "admin" with out the quotations.
4: Change the WPA Mode to WPA/WPA2 - this should cause the cipher suite to change to TKIP-AES.
wpa change ht200w.png

If you have issues with your other devices afterwards, you may need to tell them to forget the old network setting and reconnect them.  If devices can no longer see the 2.4Ghz band, you will have to change back to WPA2 and find a better wifi adapter that supports WPA2-AES

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Which Wi-Fi radio are you using?  The 2.4 Ghz or the 5Ghz?  

2.4 Ghz. Ive been attempting to resolve the issue all day with no luck

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Well, I personally don't know enough about Wi-Fi and routers to suggest anything else, and only knew about the shorter range and problems with walls and such with the 5Ghz from reading which radio I should use.  I would think that the 2.4Ghz radio you are using the the best one to use.  

Hopefully one of the more Wi-Fi adept folks will have an idea for you.  🙂

I am using a Panda PAU06. I've also tried a old Belkin adapter  I had laying around but it did the same. I've made sure all my network drivers are updated including windows 10, I've also turned the router off and back on again in addition to restaring my computer with no success. I believe the problem at this point has to be either the router or my computer settings.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

From the looks of things that wireless adapter only supports WPA and WPA2 with TKIP+AES and not WPA2-AES...

You may want to try changing the wifi settings on the HT2000w to see if it works better...

1: Visit http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com in your browser.
2: Click Wifi Settings.
3: Enter in the router password, by default it is "admin" with out the quotations.
4: Change the WPA Mode to WPA/WPA2 - this should cause the cipher suite to change to TKIP-AES.
wpa change ht200w.png

If you have issues with your other devices afterwards, you may need to tell them to forget the old network setting and reconnect them.  If devices can no longer see the 2.4Ghz band, you will have to change back to WPA2 and find a better wifi adapter that supports WPA2-AES

Thanks alot, it appears that did it. I'll update this if it changes.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Please keep us posted on what happens with everything.  I am glad that it seems to be working now. 🙂

@Liz maybe move this topic to Tech Support instead of Products and Plans?

My wifi gen 5 was installed on a Sunday ! I used it Thursday to stream my daughter basketball game on stretch Internet portal and it worked great! No buffering no freezes! Has NOT worked scene !!!???? Have called to ask for help been hung up on 3 times and they always ask for a good number to call you back and it's been a couple days and no one has called yet? Service test down load running at1-2 Mbps upload .189 Mbps ?? My ATT DSL would down load at 2-3 Mbps ?? Upload at least over 1 Mbps !! So far Hughes Net has been totally a let down! Great promise !!! Zero ,, on service!,,totally disgusted !! 

Since following your instructions everything has worked flawlessly. Thanks again.

Yo, Mr. Corrosive - YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!         I made this change and voila, my download rate went from 0.384Mbps to 41.0Mbps.

Can you see the smile on my face?                            Thank you soooooo much.