Hughesnet Community

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset error message.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pankr003
Freshman

This site can’t be reached The connection was reset error message.

I have come across one website I cannot reach. It is https://www.treasurydirect.gov

The error message happens with a PC connected directly to the modem  (HT2000W) on Internet Explorer, Chrome and Mozilla which I just installed today. The same message occurs with a Nexus 7 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A using Chrome.  

I have tried a few things with no success.  The message one on of the browsers made it sound like Treasury Direct had a problem so I called them and they said it was on my end and they were not having any problems. This has been going on since last night which is the first time I tried to reach the site with the new satellite service installed.  

Someone must have seen something similar and solved it. I read over the posts and did not not notice something I need to do but may have missed something. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Works fine here, took ages to connect, but it worked, you may want to try disabling Web Acceleration to see if that helps.

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Works fine here, took ages to connect, but it worked, you may want to try disabling Web Acceleration to see if that helps.

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

Thanks for the help. I will know where this is if I need it again. This is odd. I had rebooted the modem and nothing changed but I just pulled the plug out of the wall socket which I had done before and this time I could get at the site. Again, thanks for the quick reply.

I jumped the gun. I tried to reach Treasury Direct a second time and got the original error mesage. I tried the suggested fix and closed the browser but still got the error message.  Then I again pulled the plug on the modem and plugged it in again and after the modem started back up I was able to get at Treasury Direct but when I pressed the button to log on by going to a new page I again got the error message.  It seems shutting off the modem clears something so I get the site one time then cannot get at it a second time. Does that give anyone something to go on? 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Not working for me, either.  

Screenshot (53).jpg

I'm getting TLS Handshake failures. Also seeing really bad delays in my LA-based path from Level3 and zayo.net.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Y'all are missing the point .gov is the gall dang guvmint they don't want you to reach them Smiley HappySmiley Happy

Was going to try a real witty Net Neutrality joke, but decided against... 🤪

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm getting TLS Handshake failures. Also seeing really bad delays in my LA-based path from Level3 and zayo.net.

Yep.  That's what I was, and still am, getting.  Constant attempts to connect and TLS handshake failures.  

I sent an email to Hughes and got a reply  saying they would have to walk me through some steps. When I called them back  the support person said something about compatibility I did not understand and then said she was escalating things to a higher level and they would call me back tomorrow. When I get an answer I will post it here. 

On Monday I went into town and was able to use www.treasurydirect.gov with a tablet computer with Chrome. When I got back home I tried the same computer with the Hughes network and got the same message as seen in the subject line of this post.  I sent an e-mail to Hughes yesterday and the reply was the problem is being worked on by an advanced engineering group so should wait for a call. So for now no resolution in sight.  

For curiosity I unplugged the modem and then started it up again. I was able to get at Treasury Direct. I clicked the logon button and got a logon screen. I entered my account number and clcked the submit  icon but then got the error message again. Is this progress by the engineers or merey concidence? 

No, there is something in the TLS handshake that is getting cleared by a reboot, but looks like is triggering an internal security issue later.

I'm experiencing this same issue.  I'm assuming Hughes is still working on it...

I talked to a  very helpful tech support guy yesterday and he said he was going to resubmit the problem since nobody got back to me when it was first passed up to an advanced engineering group. Please also call them and say there is a problem. I am not sure this one can be fixed but squeaky wheels tend to get more grease. 

I called them yesterday and the person l talked with tried to get the problem to the engineering group  again. Nobody got back tp me the first time tney tried. If you are having trouble getting 

I hope you will also call them. Squeaky wheels get more grease. I am not sure this problem can be fixed because of the way Treasurydirect does security but hope they do not give up too soon.

I will call them.  Thanks.

Bad luck on my end. We got a call this morning from an unknown caller according to Caller ID similar to some people who almost got my wife to give them her Medicare number this week so I let it ring. When I  Googled the telephone number it turned out it could have been Hughesnet getting back in two days. I called back but it must not have been a number people answer.  If anyone gets any more information I hope they will post it. I will start again when I get time to see if I can learn why they called. 

maratsade

I wouldn't have picked up either -- I would imagine though that Hughesnet would not come through as unknown.

GabeU

@pankr003 wrote:

Bad luck on my end. We got a call this morning from an unknown caller according to Caller ID similar to some people who almost got my wife to give them her Medicare number this week so I let it ring. When I  Googled the telephone number it turned out it could have been Hughesnet getting back in two days. I called back but it must not have been a number people answer.  If anyone gets any more information I hope they will post it. I will start again when I get time to see if I can learn why they called. 

I don't blame you.  I don't pick up "unknown" calls, either.  And, really, even if there is a number and name, if I don't recognize it I still don't pick it up.

Gotta be very careful these days, unfortunately.  

Hughesnet called back yesterday with unknown caller on caller ID and the person sounded like she was reading me a script saying they were working on speeding up Internet response time.  I interrupted her and told her my problem was with not getting at a certain  web site so she put  me on hold and we were disconnected in a minute or so.