snails pace

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
randalldb
Sophomore

snails pace

my internet is really bad most of the time, sqeaking out 3mbps is usually standard speed, but latley its been

ridiculous. I cant even do a 25mb test because it would take hours. https://testmy.net/db/c82gfE5mr https://testmy.net/c82gfE5mr.png is my latest express t

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thats what I was afraid of, I'll have to drop HN after my contract expires. Go back the only other provider for the mobile home park I live at, is mediocre but its better than this. Thanks for your attention

View solution in original post

50 REPLIES 50

Can't stream shows, extremely slow download speeds

I've stated my reasons several times on this thread. What else should I say?
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If they asked me what prompted me to start running speed tests, I would say something like: "I started running speed tests because web pages I was trying to access were very sluggish and took a long time to download."  

I started running speed tests because it has become impossible to reliably stream shows and download large files
GabeU

@randalldb 

I noticed that the results from the "Living Room" device are considerably better than those from "Den/Study" device.  It makes me wonder whether this is a WiFi signal issue at that "Den/Study" device.  If the "Den/Study" device is connected via the 5GHz band, try changing it to the 2.4GHz band, which has better range.  

You can test your the WiFi signal strength at your devices with the HughesNet Mobile App.  The WiFi tester is the middle icon that comes up when tapping on the orange button on the lower right, or at least it is in the Android version of the App.  Make sure the device you're testing with is connected to the same band as the device in which you're testing for.  As an example, if your "Den/Study" device is connected via the 5GHz WiFi band, make sure your testing device, such as a smart phone, is also connected to that 5GHz band, and make sure to have the phone near that "Den/Study" device when testing the WiFi.  The idea is to know the quality of the utilized WiFi signal in the immediate area of that "Den/Study" device.  If the "Den/Study" device is connected via the 2.4GHz band, make sure to have the phone connected to the same band when running the WiFi test. 

nope, den study is cable closest to modem,not wifi.  I tried a 25 meg DL for 2 hours, it got halfway before i got fed up

also the lilving room was done earlier in the day like early am, its definitely a time of day issue

living room is a smart tv

GabeU

@randalldb wrote:

also the lilving room was done earlier in the day like early am, its definitely a time of day issue

If you can, try to get a few tests earlier in the day, then some later, as this will help to show the reps the discrepancy between the different times of day.  Ideally, though they know not everyone can do this, a batch of three to five tests from the morning, another batch from the afternoon and another batch from the evening is the best.  Again, though, they know that not everyone can do this, so they don't expect it to always be done.  Still, tests from different times of day can help in determining the cause of the issue.  

Also, just in the off chance it was missed (sometimes people miss it in the instructions), please be sure that the WiFi in the HughesNet modem is disabled while running the tests, and also make sure that the only device connected via LAN cable at the time of the tests is the one you're testing with.  

Lastly, in the off chance you unplug your modem when not in use, please be sure to leave it plugged in starting Monday morning so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment if they deem it necessary, which they likely will.  

Hopefully it will be something they can fix fairly easily.  🙂

Edit:  I'd forgotten that you'd been through a speed issue prior to this, so some of what I wrote may seem a little redundant and/or unnecessary to say.