BlueIris and HughesNet Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
plongson
Freshman

BlueIris and HughesNet Gen5

New HughesNet user and need some direction...I use BlueIris (BI) software to remotely monitor security cameras off site periodically...BI needs a WAN network IP address and a :8081 added to get out (or in). When I run an IP search for the network I only get a MAC address...no IP...

Has anyone had experiance with something like this and a solution? All radios are turned off, both 2 and 5 KH and the Gen5 is essentially acting like a modem. I just really need a WAN IP (and not a MAC address) and :8081 in the IP address for BI to work remote.

Thanks All!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You won't be able to remotely access your BlueIris software on the WAN on Hughesnet as you are behind Carrier Grade Nat (CGN). Hughesnet doesn't support running any form of servers (in this case, BlueIris) on residential connections for remote accessibility.

If you need remote security camera monitoring, you will need to use something like a NEST cam where the camera uploads to a central server that you are able to access.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

You won't be able to remotely access your BlueIris software on the WAN on Hughesnet as you are behind Carrier Grade Nat (CGN). Hughesnet doesn't support running any form of servers (in this case, BlueIris) on residential connections for remote accessibility.

If you need remote security camera monitoring, you will need to use something like a NEST cam where the camera uploads to a central server that you are able to access.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE has it right about Nest and being cloud based server which works great for my cameras and thermostat.

I did find this good info on making things work with NAT but requires a DD-WRT router and port forwarding (first answer). The HughesNet router/modem is not DD-WRT and from what I know the Hughes service does not support port forwarding either. So still a no go in the end.

https://superuser.com/questions/740330/how-to-connect-via-dd-wrt-to-a-device-known-by-its-mac-addres...

Ughhh, what a freak'n bummer...I must's asked the yahoo at Dish selling the SAT service a dozen times if the Gen5 supported security software systems like BI. Should have know, but I'm not too suprized...kind'a like asking a car salesman about something technical.

The support guy in the Phillipines said he could get the advanced help group to add a port forward. I wonder if I wonder if using the IP of BI and have HughesNet give me a port forward on the Gen5, then assign it to BI if that might work??

Or am I dreaming?? LOL

THANKS GUYS!!  Paul

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

From the link I posted and the accepted answer it still seems you need a DD-WRT capable router with options the Hughes built in router does not have. Can buy a DD-WRT router to use instead of the Hughes router but still a gamble if it will work. 

Don't know who you talked to, but opening port forward would be a big step. Still a crapshoot IMO.

"(For access from the internet)
On your 'Wired router' go to NAT/QoS tab -> Port Forwarding sub tab"

Can buy a DD-WRT router to use instead of the Hughes router but still a gamble if it will work. 

I have a couple of routers laying around and could toss one on to see what happens...I was of the thought HughesNet needed it's own dedicated router. Is that perhaps NOT the case?? Could I replace the Hughes with one of my own...then call an have it initialized to the Hughes network??  Anyone ever done that?? 

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Like I said earlier, because of CGN, you wont be able to remotely access your network, doesn't matter what router you have, nor what port forwards you have.  Hughesnet will not be able to forward any ports to any one customer.

No, you can't replace the HT2000w, it is required for operation of your satellite connection, though you can use another router, that just adds another layer of NAT.

Well...it appears my fate is sealed. THANKS again for your patience and sharing your knowledge with me. Much appreciated!

Hi Corrosive - your explanation is spot on, but as a customer, not acceptable.  I *need* to have products like BlueIris work.  Products that push to the cloud have their own special issues (like Nest and Amcrest).

I guess I'm left with the question - What can H/N do to address this issue?  Perhaps provide fixed IP addresses?

Thoughts?

Regards, Pat