Can RealVNC be used with HughesNet?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DSperber
Freshman

Can RealVNC be used with HughesNet?

So far I have been unsuccessful in connecting from a RealVNC client running on my own PC to a RealVNC server running with HughesNet service in Florida (fastest, latest and greatest, HT2000 modem/router), even though I'm pretty certain I've got the router "port mapping" configured correctly.

Has anybody ever tried to use RealVNC with a target host server machine running under HughesNet?

If so, were you successful or unsuccessful?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To reference your previous topic... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Can-I-use-VNC-client-with-VNC-Server-on-HughesNet-ta...

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Hughesnet uses CGN, so while ports aren't blocked, forwarding isn't going to be beneficial, and wont allow you to remotely access a system.  You will have to use something like TeamViewer that depends on a middle man server to be able to remotely connect to the client.  Also, be prepaired for a rather nasty delay in doing things remotely... I tend to see about a 1 to 2 second delay when using teamviewer.

Alternatively, you could connect to her IPv6 address if you also have IPv6, however, this usually doesn't work, and the address changes from time to time.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

To reference your previous topic... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Can-I-use-VNC-client-with-VNC-Server-on-HughesNet-ta...

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Hughesnet uses CGN, so while ports aren't blocked, forwarding isn't going to be beneficial, and wont allow you to remotely access a system.  You will have to use something like TeamViewer that depends on a middle man server to be able to remotely connect to the client.  Also, be prepaired for a rather nasty delay in doing things remotely... I tend to see about a 1 to 2 second delay when using teamviewer.

Alternatively, you could connect to her IPv6 address if you also have IPv6, however, this usually doesn't work, and the address changes from time to time.

I did see your reply to my other similar thread in the "Tech Support" forum, explaining that the HughesNet use of CGN is the explanation for why RealVNC will not work.

Again, many thanks for this insight.  It's unfortunate, but at least I can still use Team Viewer as my fallback connectivity.