cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mutto23
Freshman

Can't Connect to IP camera and weather station

Hi All,

If I'm posting this in the wrong sub section of the community, please let me know, and I'll move it.

For six or seven years I've had what I'm about to describe set up on a Verizon DSL modem, and still working ok today.

I'm trying to switch it over to a HT2010w modem and having some fits.

I have a Hikvison IP camera as a WebCam and to process I use Sebectec Ip Time Lapse Software

I have a Davis Pro II Weather Station and to process I use Cumulus Weather Software

The way I have it hooked up with the Verizon, both the camera and the Davis are hardwired to the back of the modem. To process the pair of them, I do this on a separate laptop that only runs those two items and the two pieces of software.

So I wire the laptop to the back of the HughesNet modem and connect to the internet, no limitations that I know of. Works fine. I plug the camera and the Davis connections in the back of the unit, but can't connect to either thru my software.

Now, when everything is plugged in, I can see the static IP addresses for the camera and the Davis using a network sniffer installed on the laptop. Both read active. But the software, with those IP addresses configured, can't 'connect' with the camera nor the Davis. Again, nothing else attached to the HT2010w.

If someone could kindly point me in the right direction to solve this puppy, it would be appreciated.

Brad

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Just here to say your post is in the right section and that I hope someone has an answer for you. 

Mutto23
Freshman

Thx maratsade, and I hope so also. Kind of frustrating.

Brad

maratsade

All of this is beyond my skill set; the only thing that jumped at me was the static IP addresses. I don't know if that would make a difference at all, though. Here's hoping one of the mods will know, or maybe @MarkJFine or @GabeU .  Also, are there any support communities for the hardware and software you use? If so, someone there might be running things with HughesNet and may have an answer for you. 

Yeah, both pieces of software have forums, but no one seems to running with the HT2010, and very few on HughesNet. Seems like the static IP addresses for each of my units should make it easy to get hooked up. *shrug*

Plan on trying again later this afternoon until the teeth grinding and hair pulling sends me into Beer30

Brad

maratsade

I suggest beer (or another alcoholic drink) every two hours, or as needed.  🙂

Seriously, I'm sorry you're going through this. -Larry

I understand the static IP part, which you mean that you have set, defined IPs for each device within your local LAN.

I will also assume that your system does not require any kind of port mapping or port triggering for things coming from outside the HughesNet network. That would be problematic because although you have what appears to be a public IP at the modem it is not accessible from outside HughesNet. What this means is: If the software uses arbitrating/intermediary clouds to interface between the computer and the collection devices instead of talking directly to them within the LAN, the system might not operate properly - anything external to HughesNet can't reach in and see the computer, nor the devices to do anything with them.

I realize that may have worked under a terrestrial DSL, however HughesNet uses double-NATing/IP translation between the modem, beam and groundstation, that may cause such a thing to be inoperable.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Hey Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I was just getting ready to reply when David came up with a direction of sorts for me to take. Both the IP address for the camera and the Davis console end in .1.4 or .1.1 respectfully. He mentioned that the range for IP in hughes is .42.xxx

So now I'm looking to see if I have to change them in the camera/Davis or just find a work around thru the Hughesnet modem, possibly using the Mac address.

Any thoughts?

Brad

He did bring up a good point that I hadn't thought of.

I would change them at the devices just to be sure. I thought the MAC address thing is really for reserving pseudo-static addressing within DHCP (automatic), but only for those connected by wifi - not ethernet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

This may be a stupid question, but are the static IPs in the same address range? My HT2000 has local addresses in the 192.168.42.xxx range, but as an example, say I had a device with the static IP address of 192.168.0.101, the modem will not see it. Maybe a sniffer program would see it, but for the device to be seen by the modem, it would have to be set to 192.168.42.101. Could that be the issue? I assume you altered the IP addresses when you switched from DSL to Hughes, but it may be worth checking.

Dave

Hey David,

Was just getting ready to reply to Mark when you posted, and I was going to ask him about that.

Do I have to go into the camera and davis unit to physically change the IP, or can I use the MacAddress and give it a new IP addy in HughesNet configuration. Seems I saw some sort of an option to use the mac and add a new IP in that range

Thanks,

Brad

You would have to configure it on the camera itself, I think. If you set the camera to dynamic addressing and let the HughesNet modem set the preferred address by MAC,  that would work, but probably not as reliably as a static IP. You may need PC software or an Android app to configure the camera itself, whether to change the static IP address or set it to dynamic addressing. I am not familiar with that brand, that is usually how it is done.

Thx David,

Will give it a try a little later this afternoon and let ya know.

All the Best!

Brad

Hey David and all,

Was able to change the IP of the camera and it worked fine thru the day. But my software stops processing the camera around 9pm each evening. That's by my choice, as I don't have much need for a webcam at night. Comes back on a little ahead of sunrise each morning. Well, during the sleep mode, my non cooperating camera switched back to the old IP and I lost connection again.

As far as the Davis software, from conversations I had yesterday on a couple of forums, a few folks said sure, no problem, change the IP and things will be fine. But more than a handful stated do it a my own peril as they tried it, and tech support from Davis couldn't even help restore it back to old IP. Needless to say, I held off on that.

Anyways, will spend some more time later today with my friend google and see if anything else comes up.

If you want to see why I'm doing all of this, click to McKeanWeather.com as the majority of the data on the front page is from the Davis/Cumulus combination, and the webcam shows up about half way down the main page.

Thx,

Brad

GabeU

@Mutto23 wrote: 

If you want to see why I'm doing all of this, click to McKeanWeather.com as the majority of the data on the front page is from the Davis/Cumulus combination, and the webcam shows up about half way down the main page.

Thx,

Brad

Nice website.  Your county abuts mine (Cattaraugus).

maratsade

"If you want to see why I'm doing all of this, click to McKeanWeather.com as the majority of the data on the front page is from the Davis/Cumulus combination, and the webcam shows up about half way down the main page."

That's a really nice site.

Very nice site.

I did happen to notice the high level of foreign hits you're getting and will almost guarantee a good lot of those are actually vulnerability probes and email scrapers hitting your logs... especially the ones from China. I've had to go as far as to block entire Chinese ASNs to keep them out of my site. You may also want to be wary of any hits from fake Googlebots or anything from googleusercontent.com, Amazon AWS, Microsoft, Linode, OVH, anything .ru, and any of the other sundry web hosting sites that may be out there trying to do malicious things on a daily basis.

Might also want to take a hard look at anyone using a browser version older than 2 versions behind the current one. Those are most certainly bots using faked user agents so they look real. For example, there's one Russian spambot that likes to use a faked user agent, making it look like they're using a Windows-based machine using Chrome/90.