Fire TV Stick High Data Use

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fritzak
New Poster

Fire TV Stick High Data Use

My Fire TV Stick used 25 GB of data over two days. I was able to determine this with the Stick's own data use info. It first came to my attention  from my ISP's (Hughesnet) data use info that I had used  up my 30gb high speed limit in the first couple days of the billing cycle. I couldn't figure out where it went until looking at the Fire TV Stick's data use info. I had streamed 4-5 hours of video over those two days but that couldn't possibly add up to 25 GB especially as Hughesnet has a video streaming setting that limits video to DVD quality. With the Fire TV Stick's data use interface you can set the day of the month to restart the data logging so it was easy to narrow down the specific days the high use occurred and that corresponds with the Hughesnet info. With Hughesnet I have 30 GB per month of highspeed internet and after 30GB it slows but still is able to stream lower quality video.

3 REPLIES 3
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You can easily use that much data if streaming in HD. I'm not familiar with Fire Stick but hopefully it has a setting to stream at 360p or lower.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@fritzak

Though it's designed to throttle the speed to save data, the Video Data Saver may not engage with all streaming services.  I'm not sure about Amazon Fire TV Stick.   

backwoodsbonnie
New Poster

Please excuse my lack of technical education. I'm looking at possibly purchasing a Fire Stick. I am on the 20GB plan with Hughesnet. Would you recommend using a Fire Stick with Hughesnet service? Should I upgrade? Is there another television viewing device or system you would recommend to work better with Hughesnet? .....I need some dependable guidance on this subject. (and explanations in plain English. lol )