Internet Accelerator Software Advice, please

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BudParker
New Poster

Internet Accelerator Software Advice, please

Is it advisable to run an Internet Accelerator software application on a Windows 10 desktop to modify various computer settings? Many apps, like Ashampoo, have many questions like - Type of connection, LAN, WLAN, ISDN, DSL, and so forth. Which is appropriate? Also, type of Adapter; Ethernet, Lan*3, Local Area Connection, ad infinitum... If you have any expertise in this your advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance/
8 REPLIES 8
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I hope someone with knowledge answers this for you soon. I would be concerned that any web accelerator might interfere with the web acceleration technology that comes with the HN modems.

...or not work at all because of it.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

Right, so negative interaction. Would you say then that having one of these things wouldn't really help?

@MarkJFine wrote:

...or not work at all because of it.

GabeU

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it.  It's not likely to improve anything to the extent that would be noticed, if at all.  Geostationary satellite tends to be a bit less responsive than ground based services, and mainly because of the high latency and more extensive infrastructure, neither of which are going to be positively affected by an accelerator. 

BudParker
New Poster

It seems no one here on this site is capable of discussing this issue other than to say, I wouldn't bother.

Correct. HughesNet already uses an http (web) accelerator as well as a TCPIP accelerator for other protocols. They are already maximizing as much of the downlink channel as possible. Adding another accelerator on top of that won't be beneficial and may even inhibit the ones already in use.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

That's the answer, that you shouldn't bother. What's there to discuss?

@BudParker wrote:
It seems no one here on this site is capable of discussing this issue other than to say, I wouldn't bother.

GabeU

@BudParker wrote:

Because that's the answer when it comes to HughesNet and accelerators.  The effects of using one will range from absolutely nothing to detrimental.