Jan 3rd Microsoft Windows update...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Jan 3rd Microsoft Windows update...

If you haven't yet gotten the update it may be due to your antivirus not yet being deemed compatible by Microsoft, but you'd better check, as it's a very important update, and pretty much everyone with a Windows machine should be getting it.  

Couldn't figure out why I hadn't gotten it yet and found out my AV, though compatible, hadn't yet enabled a necessary registry key change that allows the update to be download and installed.  Added the registry key and now it's downloading.  

Ugh.  It's not a tiny update, either.  

Edit:  According to Glasswire it was 236MB.  

3 REPLIES 3
Jeff_T
Sophomore

Hi, I thought I would check the status of my updates and sure enough the Jan 3rd update failed to install. I had a slightly different issue which required a slightly different remedy. If the syptom is Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of Error 0x80070643.

Microsoft say this is a known issue and offer the following advice. 

Even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. To verify the installation, select Check for Updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.

You can also type About your PC in the Search box on your taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

The expected OS build should be 16299.192

Hope this helps

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jeff_T wrote:

Hi, I thought I would check the status of my updates and sure enough the Jan 3rd update failed to install. I had a slightly different issue which required a slightly different remedy. If the syptom is Windows Update History reports that KB4054517 failed to install because of Error 0x80070643. 

So the Jan 3rd update (KB4056892) gave you the same "failed to install" error as KB4054517?  

Hi Gabe, the  KB4054517  (December 13 update)  also "failed to install" but with a different error code in my case, I'm thinking the Microsoft article was apt for both knowledge base updates as the error code matched the Januaray 3 update and that January 3 was the title of their article. The key to recognizing whether it actually installed or not is to view the OS build number, thats assuming Microsoft got that right Smiley LOL