Security Cameras

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hollyn1222
New Poster

Security Cameras

Hello, Does anyone have suggestions on which ones work best with HughesNet gen 5? As I am really wanting some but not sure about them.

25 REPLIES 25
MarkJFine
Professor

I'm not an expert, but from what I understand, ones that are cloud-based should work. Don't get anything that needs to be IP-addressable because it can't be seen from outside the HughesNet network.

Understand that either way, cameras will use a lot of data. Recommend one that's motion-sensor activated to reduce the amount of video it collects. Being able to reduce the pixel resolution and speed will also help reduce data consumption.

@BirdDogmight have additional tips.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I have what i believe is P2P tech dog web cam by Vstoy, once it was set up, it connects and goes offline??  I do not know if my issue is the same as others because it sounds like the camera i have should be compatible.  This whole thing has been very frustrating for a non tech savy person. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I have several Nest cameras and they work fine on HughesNet. They are cloud based so no static IP is needed.

However, like Mark says, they can use a lot of data under certain situations:

1. If left on all the time (24/7) they will use a lot of data, especially if placed where there is normally people/pets moving around in view of the camera, as the video is being uploaded to the cloud. Stream data amount to the cloud reduces drastically if view is static.

2. Capturing the video to the cloud is one way but if you then also watch the video using HughesNet you are using twice the amount of data. One time going to the cloud server then again going back to you watching. If you are watching remotely, say from a cell phone, then you use the data from the cell plan by watching and only use the Hughes data for what is going up to the cloud server for you to watch.

3. There is a low and high definition setting for the cameras and I leave mine set to low unless there is something I really need to see in high definition.

4. I do not leave my cameras on 24/7 to avoid constant stream to the cloud. I normally only turn them on remotely while away when I want to check, then turn them right back off.

Hope this helps.

Just curious, are you able to receive notifications from your nest camera over hughesnet? (i.e. "a person was spotted") or something like that.   I'm having trouble with our Alarm.com cameras not notifying me of things.

tnshane
New Poster

I'm successfully using Blink cameras from Amazon.  They're cloud based, by default they take a 5 second clip when motion is detected and notify you thru an Android or iPhone app.  Of course you can watch the clip thru your tablet or phone.  

We have a cabin in the mountains in NE Georgia located in the Chattahoochie NF and 9 game cameras on the property. I have pictures of bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, coydogs, turkeys, deer, feral cats and more.  

When triggered, the cameras take 3 pictures.. Triggered includes when the wind blows trees and bushes move; as a result, the camera takes 3 pictures. When it rains real hard; the camera takes 3 pictures. Due to wind moving; a camera took over 4000 pictures in 3 days. To a cloud that is a lot of traffic. 

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

What's your point?

Pick wrote:

We have a cabin in the mountains in NE Georgia located in the Chattahoochie NF and 9 game cameras on the property. I have pictures of bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, coydogs, turkeys, deer, feral cats and more.  

When triggered, the cameras take 3 pictures.. Triggered includes when the wind blows trees and bushes move; as a result, the camera takes 3 pictures. When it rains real hard; the camera takes 3 pictures. Due to wind moving; a camera took over 4000 pictures in 3 days. To a cloud that is a lot of traffic. 

Game cameras take pictures and/or videos of everything that moves; even trees moving in the wind, birds flying, heavy rain etc. I delete a few thousand pictures every week. Depending on the settings; each picture is usually 3.5 meg.  

Camera1 1245 pictures

Camera2 3925 pictures

Camera3 1248 pictures

Camera4 1032 pictures

Camera5 1102 pictures.

Not something, I want to upload. 

STC_0827_zpsqlwlfgsq

We call this bear the peeping bear as he always walks by the bedroom window.. 

The OP was looking for advice and a recommendation of what brands work on HughesNet.
What you've provided is an interesting comment on the volume of information your system generates in your particular situation, but still doesn't address either part of the original question.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

It's very useful information, Mark, anyone using a camera with HughesNet needs to be aware of data consumption.

Dave

Do you have the current Modem/ Router combo from HN? The HT2000W.... We have purchased the Blink Security camera kit... Plus 4 addtl cameras...our HN wifi does not reach far enough outside to a specific location on my husband's shop... furthest distance for 2 cameras.... do we need to invest in a third party router ...e. g. Netgear NightHawk x6s 8000, etc.... to get the needed wifi signal or invest in a HN WiFi Signal Booster?

I'm successfully using the HT2000W modem and the Hughes range booster to run 3 cameras on one end of my house.  The booster also gives me WiFi connectivity in my separate shop.  It's about 100 feet from my shop to the booster, which is mounted high on an inside wall of my attached garage.  The signal doesn't  penetrate metal buildings at all, which is not surprising.

hollyn1222
New Poster

Hello,

I have an Arlo camera on the inside of the house and a ring on the outside. Both work with our Hughesnet service.

My concern was with a few cameras the use of bandwidth would be high.. I've learned cameras are addictive. As our nearest neighbors are over a mile away; there's a lot of activity here. Uploading photos to a cloud is simple. Using wireless cams uploading in real time isn't a challenge either. 

I apologize for communicating what I've learned over years about trail cams. I'll limit offering any advice here in the furure. 

bear6_zpskjhc7wrp

We had a prowler. So I mounted a camera in a window.. I have a bunch of photos of the bear wandering around before he checked out the bass boat.. 

Other cams caught the prowler at night. 

@Pick wrote:

I'll limit offering any advice here in the furure. 

Look, clearly what you have works (albeit volumnous in your situation) and you've done this a while, maybe if I asked directly:
1. What brand/model of cameras are you using?

2. Are they hooked up to HughesNet or are they connected to something else?

3. If the answer to 2 is 'yes', and because the cams generate a lot of pictures (and if you don't mind saying), which HughesNet plan are you on?

maratsade

That's a great photo. 

Pick wrote:

We had a prowler. So I mounted a camera in a window.. I have a bunch of photos of the bear wandering around before he checked out the bass boat.. 

Other cams caught the prowler at night. 

I loved your post, Pick, thanks.

SJSCOTT19
Spectator

I'm using 6 different WYZE V2 cameras, you can get them at home depot for $25-$35, you can adjust the quality and upload rate 360, SD, HD.  They work perfect on hughsnet gen5, using an app on iphone or andriod, and have sd storage cards that store video for longer than the 14day (inluded no cost) cloud storage.  We are on the hughesnet 20gb data plan, with unlimited slower 3mb (up/down) after high speed data runs out, and works great in the 3mb data up/down range in 360 and SD mode, when we run out and speeds slow down.

I also own a wired security camera system, and it works well too using a cloud service (3rd party always streaming service)  to login to the system.  This uses our data plan faster, but it still works good when main data plan has run out of fast download speeds, as it only relies on the upload, (~3mb) which does not slow down when the plan runs out.

kjrueter
Spectator

I have been using Wyze cameras with much success. No issues with connectivity and low data usage. I have a number of them in service 

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html

maratsade

That's very good to know!

@kjrueter wrote:

I have been using Wyze cameras with much success. No issues with connectivity and low data usage. I have a number of them in service 

https://wyze.com/wyze-cam.html