Streaming experience....

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Streaming experience....

For the first time I tried the On Demand option with my DirecTV.  I wasn't planning on leaving the service connected, but only try it to see how well it worked with Gen5.  It worked well, but it chewed right through the data as there is no way to adjust the resolution with DTV's On Demnad Service.  I streamed a 43 minute episode of LockUp and it used about 700MB of data, but it only took a few minutes to download the entire episode.  It went very well.  

Then the bad, though this has nothing to do with Hughesnet.  I reset the network settings on the DTV Genie, which cut the connection, but it kept trying to reconnect with just about everything I did thereafter, or at least asking me if I wanted to reconnect, over and over again.  After a couple of hours of getting really annoyed and trying everything and anything to stop it, I ended up doing a complete factory reset, losing everything I had recorded on my DVR.  It wasn't that big of a deal as there was nothing on there that isn't going to be on again within the next couple of weeks, but it was a bit annoying, nonetheless.  

But, at least now I know that streaming works well with Gen5.  I have a Netflix app on my Smart TV, and I know that I can adjust the definition at the source with Netflix, so I may very well sign up for Netflix and do some occasional streaming.  

12 REPLIES 12
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Gabe, my experience Netflix uses about 250MB for a 45 minute show set to low definition. They also have a new download option for many shows.

I like the way once the playback definition is set I don't have to worry about it no matter which device I'm using: laptop, TV, tablet, etc.

Don't have DirecTV so that's one thing I don't need to worry about eating data without knowing. They do have a streaming service called DirecTV Now but have no idea if the user can manually set the definition being sent.

PS: Streaming works fine on my Gen 4 also. Smiley Happy

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Streaming video on a data capped service reminds me of a Bugatti Veyron. The thing will go 253 miles per hour but will burn its entire 26 gallon fuel load in only 19 minutes.

While it is possible, its just not practical.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just throwing this out there... The Video Data Saver will work with all web-based streams from what I can tell... Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, ESPN, and so on.  DTV On Demand and similar don't use a web-based stream to show movies, it's a straight up download of a pre-set size.  So test the smart-tv with the video saver function, and make sure you leave Netflix on "Auto"!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

Just throwing this out there... The Video Data Saver will work with all web-based streams from what I can tell... Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, ESPN, and so on.  DTV On Demand and similar don't use a web-based stream to show movies, it's a straight up download of a pre-set size.  So test the smart-tv with the video saver function, and make sure you leave Netflix on "Auto"!

Mine seems to be doing fine with Netflix set to low definition and data saver on. In fact I tested the other night and could stream with no buffering even with speed below 1 Mbps. Took about 90 seconds to load though. Probably beam and gateway make a big difference, mileage may vary.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

It will do find in that manor, but, if you set for a higher resolution than what the system allows for on the data saver setting it will start to buffer.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

It will do find in that manor, but, if you set for a higher resolution than what the system allows for on the data saver setting it will start to buffer.

I'm sure it will. Was only explaining what works for us with few issues for a long time now. Speed has to be really, really bad before we can't stream at all. Again, we stream pretty much what we want without eating through our allowance and I download large files drivers frequently without going over. We don't do hours of watching everyday though, mostly some on the weekends and wife does some during the week.

Granted, no kids in the house, that would be a whole different story.

Out of curiosity, how much data do you use, approximately? 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@tampasteve1 wrote:

Out of curiosity, how much data do you use, approximately? 

Hi tampasteve1, not sure if you're asking me and if you mean per stream or monthly useage but we usually run at about 30 GB per month and videos normally run around 250-300 MB for a 45-60  minute video from Netflix. Of course more for a 90 to 120 minute movie.

The monthly amount is with me also doing much more than just streaming. Like I said already it isn't like we stream movies or series episodes everday for hours at a time but we do watch whenever in the mood and don't feel restricted as to when we can.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! That is just what I was looking for.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@Gwalk900 wrote:

Streaming video on a data capped service reminds me of a Bugatti Veyron. The thing will go 253 miles per hour but will burn its entire 26 gallon fuel load in only 19 minutes.

Have to disagree. We do just fine especially since we have the Ultra plan. No problem with Netflix on low definition and looks fine to us. We really enjoy a lot of the original shows they put out.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. Not forcing anyone to stream, simply saying it can be done and not go through all of monthly data in the process. In fact I believe we had around 20 GB left at the end of last cycle. But yes, 8 hours a day for 30 days is not going to work.

maratsade

@Gwalk900 wrote:

This cracked me up.  It's a good analogy for HD, although I personally don't see much difference between LD and HD, or maybe it just doesn't matter to me.  🙂  LD works just fine.

maratsade

@GabeU wrote:

For the first time I tried the On Demand option with my DirecTV.  I wasn't planning on leaving the service connected, but only try it to see how well it worked with Gen5.  It worked well, but it chewed right through the data as there is no way to adjust the resolution with DTV's On Demnad Service.  I streamed a 43 minute episode of LockUp and it used about 700MB of data, but it only took a few minutes to download the entire episode.  It went very well.  

Then the bad, though this has nothing to do with Hughesnet.  I reset the network settings on the DTV Genie, which cut the connection, but it kept trying to reconnect with just about everything I did thereafter, or at least asking me if I wanted to reconnect, over and over again.  After a couple of hours of getting really annoyed and trying everything and anything to stop it, I ended up doing a complete factory reset, losing everything I had recorded on my DVR.  It wasn't that big of a deal as there was nothing on there that isn't going to be on again within the next couple of weeks, but it was a bit annoying, nonetheless.  

But, at least now I know that streaming works well with Gen5.  I have a Netflix app on my Smart TV, and I know that I can adjust the definition at the source with Netflix, so I may very well sign up for Netflix and do some occasional streaming.  

I only stream Netflix on the laptop or the iPad.  Sometimes I connect the laptop to the TV set via an hdmi cable, even though my TV can connect to the network and it has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other apps there.  I don't want the TV to think it has been given permission to connect to the network whenever it wants, so I have never set it up that way.  

I only stream in low def, even though I now have 50 gigs a month to play with.  I still don't see much difference between LD and HD, to be honest. LD works just fine for me, and I can make the data last longer.