Try a Monitoring App to See Your Network Activity

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Katie0
Admin

Try a Monitoring App to See Your Network Activity

Some of you have already discovered the benefits of seeing the uses of traffic on your network with GlassWire.  Others prefer WireShark.  And, some of these apps are easier than others. The beauty is - you can monitor your usage without guessing where its going and who is taking it. There are free versions available for you to try. No, we're not offering to support it.  Nor will the call center agents be able to assist you with it.  But, we here in the Community are using it in our lab and like what it does.  Those of you that have found these apps useful, may want to add to what's already been posted. 

14 REPLIES 14
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

This may be a good time to point out that one program that I used to recommend, Net Guard, can no longer be recommended as the latest version installs "openCandy" during the install.

From Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenCandy

I have an older version installed on one of my machines, malware and virus scans come up "clean", but under the present circumstances, Net Guard can no longer be recommended.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Great suggestions Katie and a good announcement! Hope it stays up for awhile.

I have a router which tracks usage per device but the apps are a free or low cost option. Am I right in saying that those only track what is being used on the device they are installed to? In other words if installed on a laptop it would track the usage on it but not on a tablet using the wireless router also,
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

And it is those pesky wireless devices that can cause the most issues.

Sadly, for some reason, most novice users are reluctant to "simplify" their network during the troubleshooting phase.

A user simply must get from this:

To this as the first step in isolating data loss issues:

Really like like like the diagrams and the concept..  a lot.

It would appear the wifi is / has been disabled..  correct or not so..

would really like to pursue this..  I did see a post that took this

even further..  anyone have a link??  

thanks GWalk !! 

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Surprisingly Glasswire used to only run under Windows 7 but I just downloaded it and installed under Windows 10 and its working perfectly
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I knew I could get ewe to post one of your purty diagrams.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well, what can I say ? A picture is worth a thousand words and many users may not be aware of the "shape" of their home network and the various possible "loss vectors".

Amanda

Needs more giraffe.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Ask and ewe shall receive !!!!!

Needs more butter I think.

Amanda

Sorry.

http//wwwdumpadaycom/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/paula-dean-funny-butter-picturesjpg
Knerkin Akin

A comment to Katie's announcement: GlassWire will not monitor traffic on your network, only on the machine on which it is installed. So, if you have a couple of machines co0nnected to your network that consume traffic from the HN service, install GlassWire on each machine to see the total usage.
phylis19us

Why do you suggest these instead of the status meter? Do they do more than the status meter does?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The status meter will show how much data has been used, system wide, including all networked computers and devices.

Glasswire will pinpoint just what program or process used the data.

(note: Glasswire will only record data usage on the single computer on which it has been installed)

Some Glasswire info but perhaps helpful in overall scope:

The point here is:

A single computer  has 65,536 comm ports:

Of these, port 80 is visible to a user when a Internet Browser is open .... it is "apparent".

If a user has an email client program installed like Outlook or Thunderbird, among many others, two more are used for incoming and outgoing email duties. Again, these are apparent because the email client program is up and running ...

That leaves 65,533 comm ports that a novice user is not aware of and has no ready visible means to see or know about.

That is a lot of potential "leaks".

Just say'in.

Edit:
Some of the above info relating to free time and refill times are for HN9000 daily refill legacy plans and was prepared for another user.

Some Glasswire info but perhaps helpful in overall scope:

MAGNIFICIENT !!!!  

Definitely Deserves its OWN Thread...   sticky    -   if i use these terms correctly.

Great Great Stuff...    and  THANKS for Posting.