Hughesnet Community

Wifi extender

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Caroline Schaef

Wifi extender

We have a 4200 sq ft home in a rural area. We just started with Hughes net and so far I have very sketchy service. My wifi service only reaches to the next room and even then comes and goes. Please tell me the best router and wifi extender that works with satellite internet. I bought a wifi extender from TP-link that had great reviews, but it won't work because our internet seems to come and go in waves . Help!!!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hughesnet is offering for sale if you find a price let me know please I've been searching for an hour.  Hughesnet has a wi-fi extender/boooster that works perfect with their new HT2000W Satellite Wi-Fi Modem router. (Not my words) good luck

http://cloud.mailfromhughes.com/WiFiBooster

The Wi-Fi Booster can be connected in just a few simple steps. Use the HughesNet Mobile App Wi-Fi gauge to help find your signal strength in every room. In addition, LED lights on the Booster help you identify the best location to place the device so that it’s the right distance from your router.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
Christopher San

Caroline,  you are in the right place for your answers   but have to get you a more knowledgeable member as to answer your question on that one as routers  are not mine but one will be in here very shortly and Hughes-Net Reps also !!!  but some time the cheaper ones work better than the expensive one do so will follow till all your answers are  answered !!!  and also one the right side you can find related conversations already , but when started you will be given great advise  !!! now on your sketchy  side   -- keep this information    192.168.0.1 your SSC center,  type that in your address bar and   that's where you can find yor information of your system !!!    is all lights green at top ?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Is this a multi-level home?  You are going to need more than a Wifi Extender, your going to need an actual Access Point or three in a home this large, especially if you have multiple floors.

As for testing the internet connectivity, can you connect a computer directly to your modem and see how it goes connectivity wise?  If it works fine, then we can move onto a better router, and possibly access points.

i have a wifi extender and it is a netgear but it is telling me i need to enable the ipv6. I'm new to hughes net and not sure where to go or how to enable the ipv6 in order for the extender to help with my internet cause every night we experience buffing while watching tv.I can have one tv on or two it doesn't matter i have had to call every night so i thought why not plug in my extender and then i ran into this if someone could please help me figure this out 

thank you, shannon

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@shannonsr850

Though I can't help you with connecting your WiFi extender, if you're experiencing buffering issues in the evening it's most likely a speed issue, and a WiFi extender isn't going to improve your speed.  The only thing a WiFi extender might help with is if you were having buffering issues caused by a weak signal because of range, but if that were the case you'd be experiencing issues nonstop, regardless of the time of day.  

With that said, hopefully someone can help you get your extender connected. 

I'm new to Huges Net and Gen5, my router is setup with my PC in a room at one end of the house, the house is approximately 1700 sq ft.single floor.

I like to use Roku streaming devices and the device that is fartherest from the router is at the other end of the house, this device rceives a weak signal just as it did with my previous ISP.

When I realized that the HT2000W router contained the ability to transmit 2.4GHz and 5GHz I decided to replace my old TPlink extender and install a dual band range extender. The one I chose was the Belkin F9K1106, I dont know what other peoples experiences of this extender are but it works fine for me and cost under $20. The extender configuration took just 10 min with the quick start sheet they provide. Both frequencies went from weak (unusable) to strong/excellent with the extender placed halfway between the router and fartherest point.

hope this helps

BirdDog
Assistant Professor
Christopher San

Morning , ! Charles and sgoshe  !!!  she hasn't come back yet !  i see !!
Purgatory

Good morning to all!
Christopher San

Morning , !!!  Purgatory !!!
Purgatory

Good morning Christopher!!!
Christy Rainwat

Great Info thank you !
Caroline Schaef

Yes
Christopher San

And in Christy's comment after the router  she was having sketchy service also !!!!

Hughesnet is offering for sale if you find a price let me know please I've been searching for an hour.  Hughesnet has a wi-fi extender/boooster that works perfect with their new HT2000W Satellite Wi-Fi Modem router. (Not my words) good luck

http://cloud.mailfromhughes.com/WiFiBooster

The Wi-Fi Booster can be connected in just a few simple steps. Use the HughesNet Mobile App Wi-Fi gauge to help find your signal strength in every room. In addition, LED lights on the Booster help you identify the best location to place the device so that it’s the right distance from your router.

Caroline Schaef

2 floors,
Christopher San

let the pros get you up on your router first as not to get anyone confused Okay !!!!1   but green is good !!!
Christopher San

NAP TIME, !!!!   talk at you couple hrs !!!!
Rhonda Therrien

Net work extender doesn't work on a satellite. Netgear 24 router is great
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

I highly suggest two high powered routers either from ASUS or D-Link, set one up in AP mode, and run a Cat6 cable from the first floor router to the second floor.  Have both routers setup with the same SSID, and try to locate both routers in the center of the home.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Charles, I agree. The article I linked to also says this under the "Access Point" section.