Wifi going down

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
farmerhugh
Junior

Wifi going down

Could someone tell me what the indicators are for a router going bad.  My wifi keep shutting down  suddenly and I don't think its the internet.  It seems to spring back to life when I wake up my wired desktop.  Appreciate your suggestions.  I did go into netgear and check for updates and all was fine.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Amanda

Hey farmerhugh

That does sound odd! Before you go out and spend money, I believe we do still have some D-Link routers in stock here. I can send you a free router from our warehouse and see if that fixes your problem? Let me know!

Thanks
Amanda

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When you say "wifi keep shutting down" do you mean your wireless device disconnects from the wifi, then comes back when you turn on a wired machine?  Sounds like the wireless radio on the router could be dieing if that's the case.  
farmerhugh
Junior

yes.  thats exactly it.  Guess i'll be buying a new one...Any suggestions??  I've seen references to the Asus.   its just us old folks so we don't need a lot of bells and whistles--probably wouldnt even know what to do with them..lol
Amanda

Hey farmerhugh

That does sound odd! Before you go out and spend money, I believe we do still have some D-Link routers in stock here. I can send you a free router from our warehouse and see if that fixes your problem? Let me know!

Thanks
Amanda
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

farmerhugh,

One thing you may wish to check for each computer is the power settings for the network adaptor.

This is from Win7 but others are similar:

farmerhugh
Junior

If there;s no charge that would be great.  I'm getting mighty tired of running into the other room to reset the router,  Thanks
farmerhugh
Junior

Would the network adapter suddenly change.  Its been fine until about 5 days ago.  We did have a snowstorm and at first  i thought that was the cause. Sent Hugh out a few times to dust off the satille dish, but snow is no longer an issue.
farmerhugh
Junior

Write a reply
farmerhugh
Junior

would this b it?  this us just one laptop.  its happening to another also.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

No. Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Network Adapters then click on whatever wireless adapter is installed on your computer. Should then see what Gwalk posted.
Amanda

Sure no problem farmerhugh, ordering you one right now! Should be there next week 🙂 Comes with set up instructions in the box and it is yours to keep forever.

Amanda
farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

Gwalk  is this it--I;m kinda lost here on win 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

farmerhugh, 

If you look to the left on the picture you posted, you'll see a setting that says "Change Adapter Settings" (pic 1).  Click on that.  Right click on the adapter (mine says Ethernet) (pic 2) and click Properties.  Then click "Configure" (pic 3).  After clicking Configure, click on "Power Management" (pic4).  Then you should see the picture that Gwalk posted.  Make sure the highlighted item is NOT checked.  If it is, uncheck it and click Okay.  

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Remember that a laptop will have two adaptors, one for wired and one for wireless.

here are mine (Win7)

Wired on the left, wireless on the right.

Clicking on an adaptor opens the screen on the left:

Clicking "properties" in the left screen opens the screen on the right. In the right hand screen select the "Power Management" tab,

Remember to do this on both the wired and wireless adaptors.

farmerhugh
Junior

farmerhugh
Junior

does this look ok??  I am soo confused.  But really trying to check it all out.  really appreciate your help.  The ethernet is checked the samr.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lets see the "blue" one that is under:

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lets do this, follow the numbers:

Clicking "properties" will open the following:

Clicking on the "configure" button above will open this:

Close all over dialog boxes.

farmerhugh
Junior

just got done figuring this all out==thanks for the detailed pictures-   I am really dense when it comes to thses things.   that box was checked on both laptops and i unchecked them .  hopefully this will take care of it.  Wonder why i never noticed the wifi going down before this.    Thanks so much for your help.  you're terrific! ( as are all of you)
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

May not be the issue in your case but is one less thing out of the way.
Don't forget to post when you get the new router