"I hate snow on dishes"

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcarra
Freshman

"I hate snow on dishes"

I have struggled with different products to get snow off the Satellite dishes with no success.  Sprays, heating elements when near an electrical source, cooking sprays, etc etc.  For Christmas I received a snow visor specifically for sat dishes.  Haven't tried it yet with snow but it has to be better than what I've been using.  For you fellow sufferers who have to walk to the dish (or climb ladders) every hour to clean off the dish to see Judge Judy here is the link.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Satellite-Dish-Snow-Visor-TM-for-Oval-Antennas-/270695744151?hash=item3f06b9...

10 REPLIES 10
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Never use oil based products like cooking sprays as they can make the dish sticky and things worse.

Car window de-icer in a powerful garden sprayer or Super Soaker water gun can work also.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I would have a couple of concerns with that.

One would be added "windage". Even a small amount of movement will affect your signal. The second area of concern is in "Look Angle" .... the signals travel in the area of 30-45 degrees above the level of the dish arm.

My solution was to buy from Lowes a 16' collapsible extension pole and screwed a 8" brush on the end.

Pawnee County

I have heard of folks using Pam and then getting all kinds of debris on the dish dirt, leaves, bugs, etc.  Anytime something is outside and exposed to the elements there will be problems with the course of nature.  Be it rain, snow, wind, or just lots of cloud cover face it it's outside.

That visor looks like it came off a 51 Chevy.  I can imagine one of our 70 to 80 mph winds we get here hitting that thing.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, you do live where the wind blows so bad even something with the power of a fire hose would not work.  🙂
Amanda

And this brings me back to this picture...

Anyway, have you considered a hair dryer on a pole? 😉

http//wwwbloggernewsnet/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/satellite_dish-umbrellajpg
jerry_spc

I located spot on the antenna and placed a magnetic block heater above it use on both my Hughes and dish satellite reveivers
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Ya know, now that I think about it, one those "heat guns" that are essentially blow-driers on steroids, on the end of a poll might work very nicely if one doesn't get it TOO close to the dish or radio....
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Lol, those things put out some serious heat! We used them in the military on super thick heat shrink insulation. Had to be careful not to melt the wire in the process.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah, I know they do, I have one that I use to help bend PVC and soften other things up, hence I said, don't get it too close to the dish or radio. 🙂